Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by kinger, Sep 8, 2005.

1. kinger

kinger

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Question for you Caterers...where do you get your liability insurance? Are any of you "LLCs" and not bothering with liability insurance? I can use some advice on this.

Thank you!

Pete

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Pete,
    LLC's, S corps etc. protection umbrella is not it's all cracked up to be. You should always carry liability insurance. It is available through most commercial insurance carriers. Over the years I usually shop every two years and been lucky to keep my rates and even lowering them on occasion. Now, I think I have St. Pauls Travelers, Great premium price.
    I don't hesitate to use my liability ins. I've use it in power lossed for spoilage ( costs a little extra),break-ins, broken tooth on a pecan shell and things of that nature.
    Most of my accounts, ie. hotels, clubs, halls etc. require a minimum of 3 million to even step on the property to deliver.
    I personally think it's a small cost for the comfort.
    Panini
    I'm not a believer in insurance though. About to join the 25 million couples in the US without health insurance. The rates for my wife and I have gone to 1835.00 month.For an 80-20 plan w/5000ded. We're both healthy but both longtime cancer survivors. The system is criminal. :rolleyes:

3. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    try The Hartford.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I have to carry $2mil for the farmer's markets....after the accidents in Santa Monica my rates dbled. oh the joys of insurence.....seems like a waste to pay for them but man If we ever needed them.....
    Insurence for catering is alittle more reasonable, don't know why.

5. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Go to the person or comapny who insures your home and car. They have some history on you, at least financialy. Here in Chicago, clients and venues require a Certificate of Insurance, naming the venue or client as an additionally insured. The base liability requested is usually $1 million, which costs around $2000 in Chicago. Higher liability limits cost more, but it's not linear.

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think you will find that in some/many states you need a liscensed physical address to write