Let's talk truffles

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Dan Fagerburg, Jan 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM.

1. Dan Fagerburg

Dan Fagerburg

Exp:
    What's "Exp:"
    Note- I'm new to this forum and you could probably just skip to the last paragraph,
    My chocolate hobby, prior to this year solely consisted of using me A C Moore chocolate melter to melt out of season (and cheaper) chocolates from an east coast brand. I made icing to engulf cherries in, and them dip them, sometimes using paramount crystals to thin the chocolate.

At a halloween party a woman told me about Merkens chocolate, and I promptly ordered 10 lbs. (@ $4/lb. I couldn't say no). Currently I have a supply of 5 lbs. of milk, dark, and white Merkens chocolate. I now know that this chocolate does not require tempering which makes it so desirable.

I only have one truffle in my repertoire, a mint chocolate chip truffle, with ganache made of white chocolate(I bought a case of Lindt) and a few other ingredients. I dip the mint chocolate chip truffle in my Merkens because I have Lots of it and like that I can use it in my "chocolate melter". I want better more professional results.

Tonight I took some ganache made with just heavy cream and 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, and attempted to temper 8 oz of that same 60% cacao chocolate. I read about the "seeding" method, and I diced 8 oz. and put 1/3 to the side. I created a double boiler and used a spatula I bought at Walmart with a thermometer in it (which I don't think accurately measured the temperature). After the 2/3 was melted I took it off the heat, and with a temp. of 100 degrees Fahrenheit I stirred in the remaining 1/3 in three batches. It went very smoothly until the last batch, which took a long time to melt and although the temperature matched the book I was following, this melted chocolate was very thick. I had all the truffles skewered with tooth picks, and I dunked them and now I reflect....

What's the best way to temper bittersweet chocolate? I have access to a nice kitchen with granite countertops-

And what's the best way to make handsome truffles, with a seamless coat?

2. CaptainSharpknife

CaptainSharpknife

Exp:
    Line cook
    Okay when I read how much that chocolate cost my jaw hit the floor so jealous. So as far as perfectly round I think the best way to go would be to get a two part mold where you can actually fill the truffles from the top of each mold and the separate the mold into two pieces when they set to remove them. Of course you can smooth out any imperfections/artifacts once they come out of the mold. I've tried a million other different ways and I always get marks on them. As for tempering it sounds like you were doing the right thing. For bittersweet chocolate 88 to 90 degrees is ideal. One thing you want to make sure of that is that you are stirring that thing almost constantly especially on the double boiler like that, it can start to crystallize if it sits for too long or loses too much heat, and make sure the chocolate you are seeding with hasn't bloomed! Best of luck on the next batch