Let's talk knive sharpeners....

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by botanique, Apr 6, 2005.

1. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    I LOVE mine -- its not the cream of the crop, but its a Chef'sChoice Edge Select 120 Diamond Hone Sharpener PLUS! My question is, I have had instruction and my knives are sharp, but I always love to hear tricks of the trade, especially since I'm living vicariously through you guys for now.... :rolleyes: Okay, you can just tell me to go bake a loaf or something LOL

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Please do a search of the Equipment Forum for knives and sharpeners you'll find plenty of existing discussions. ;)

3. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Forgot knife sharpeners, and get some whetstones... 1000 grit is good for all around use, you can use a progression from 1000-10000+ to get a mirror finish edge... If you messed up your edge real bad 250-500 grit is good for repairing it.

4. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Back on the case, thanks gentlemen!

5. rivitman

rivitman

Exp:
    Former Chef
  6. buzzard767

buzzard767

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Although I agree with Rivitman, and use an EdgePro myself, the answer to your question is a twofold question; what kind of knives do you have (and the steel they are made of), and how sharp do you want them?

To clarify, if you are using department store knives other than Shuns, your Chef'sChoice will be just fine. They produce and edge angle of about 25 degrees per side and that is more or less the factory angle. If you have Shuns, buy their electric sharpener - 16 degrees per side. However, if you have quality Japanese kitchen knives you are dealing with a completely different animal. Mine are sharpened from 8 to 15 degrees per side depending on the cutting purposes. They require freehand or device (EdgePro for example) sharpening.

Bottom line, if you are happy with your sharpener and it produces edges that meet your desires, stick with what you have.

If you're kitchen knife crazy hair carving edge berserk with way too many expensive custom knives to cut carrots like me, ask more on this thread and I'll show you ways to max out your credit cards.

Buzz

7. cacook

cacook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I use a standard forschner fine/coarse stone usually about once a week (I don't know the grits), every couple/few days touch up with a diamond steel and steel with a standard steel throughout the day every day. While my knives stay pretty sharp, there's always that guy with the japanese knives and the ceramic/glass stone that can split hairs. It drives me crazy for someone to have sharper knives than I; not only because he's obviously better or has better tools to sharpen, but my cuts are generally less precise than his. What can I get that's relatively affordable to maintain the edge? Most of my knives are high carbon/no stain, with a few randoms that are stainless. Also, I'm in the market for some decent japanese knives, or at least a good quality chef's knife with no tang or a tang that doesn't drop all the way to the blade.

8. ras1187

ras1187

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Pocket $4 keychain sharpener that I got from the hunting section in wal-mart.

For $4 it does a very good job.

9. coregonus

coregonus

Exp:
    Private Chef
    High carbons should be able to maintain fine edge - 15-18 degrees. To get there you need to put knives thru at least 3-4 different grit, finishing at 1000-3000. Best for dollar are whetstones or aluminium oxide. Make sure you use proper oil too (food grade).

Here are few links, you'll be able to find something nice for about $100
    Products Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com

japanese-knife.com

The Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives

Good luck

10. buzzard767

buzzard767

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Carbon blades with any decent heat treating can easily take and hold an 8 to 10 degree edge. One of mine that sees daily use is at 10 degrees. It's a 40 year old 9" Sabatier Chef's knife. I realign the edge with a glass smooth steel before each use and it only needs resharpening a couple times a year.

OIL??? You must be the last person on earth using it. The oil forms a slurry holding metal particles and does more to dull the edge than sharpen it. H2O only!

Buzz

11. chefbenjamin

chefbenjamin

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a great knife sharpener from Furi Knives.

12. adamm

adamm

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I sharpen my knives with diamond stones, and polish them with 6000 grit whet stone and a leather stop.

13. montelago

montelago

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is not rocket science guys. Arkansas stone and a steel. Put whatever angle you want on it, based on what you are using it for and how long you want it to last. And make sure that you use the steel often. I lick mine a few times after each project and I only have to put them on the stone about three times a year. And for God's sake, don't ever give your knives to the sharpening guys that visit your place every three weeks...unless you have a lawnmover blade that needs sharpening.

14. dervissis

dervissis

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    what do you reccemond for sharpening german blades such as wusthof?

thanks
    george

15. adamm

adamm

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i sharpen mine with dmt diamond stones, im not say its the best for the buck but it will get the job done.