Lets see your ice carvings

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by nicko, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hey Guys,

I am no longer a practicing chef but I was in the business for 15 years and really was not sure where to post this. Something I did along with cooking was ice carving and wanted to see what others are doing. 

Here is my most recent carving which is the Eiffel Tower with two wine bottle holders on the sides.

2. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    Love your site.

I never understood the ice sculpture side of culinary school, mostly because I can't do it.

It seems to me like, "Okay. Good job! You are officially a ballerina, but for your final, I need you to make me a croissant".

What was this sculpture for, Nicko?

Inquiring minds want to know...

And, of course, it looks Spectacular!

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think ice carving hearkens back to the old school grand buffets and it was really meant for garde mange experts and pastry chefs. For myself I learned it as a part time job to make extra cash and just enjoyed the creative side of it. And it was a heck of a lot cooler with the ice than working the line so it was a nice change.

This is supposed to be the Eiffel tower wine bottle holder. Here is a pic of the finished product at the party.

4. chefchrisd

chefchrisd

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Amazing.

5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was the sous for a couple of years in the 80's to a chef from Jamaica that had 15 yrs on cruise ships, he could knock out a nice piece in about 45 min for our Sunday brunch. He once did a stage coach and horses for a Wells Fargo banquet, it was six pieces of ice. He tried to show me some basic stuff, but I never had the eye for it.

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality