Let's discuss: Hydroponics... anyone knows anything about it?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by brulo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So, I came across this yesterday... I already knew of it's existence but I saw an article yesterday and thought it would be pretty cool to set up a little HP farm at my little patio... Mainly for tiny veggies, aromatics or edible flowers.

Anyone knows anything about it or have any resources I could check out?

Maybe we can make an interesting discussion out of it :)

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Consider that they will have much less flavor than "real" veggies/aromatics.

3. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been reading a little and, while it seems to be the case, looks like there are some tweaks you can introduce to boost the flavor on hydro crops:

www.maximumyield.com/treat-em-bad-and-theyll-taste-better-improving-flavor/2/915

It basically says that giving the plants a more stressful environment (contraty to the first thought of giving them a privileged spa-like ambient) will enforce the production of oils and concentration of sugars.

Also I should add that I don't really have space for any other kind of grow, I could have a couple little pots with aromatics but they usually die because I can't properly control the water intake and exposure to direct sunlight. With a hanging hydro I chould be able to control those parameters a little better.

Also, it could be fun as an experiment, and even if it hits the flavor (in a way that's not too noticeable) the trade of off cooking some special dishes with my own products would be really cool :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was just sharing my own personal experience. If you try it out for yourself, let us know what you find out!

5. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hydrophonics??

You looking for submarines? I mean, they do cook with Radar waves, but I'm not aware of any Sonar ovens on the market, so far.

Hydroponics, on the other hand, have been around for a long time- soil-less raising of plants in water with nutrients dissolved in the liquid.

Mike :rolleyes:
    Old Navy guy- sorry, I just coluldn't resist

6. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Woopsie! My mistake, not a native English speaker :)

Did you had any experience with those? (not the submarines) haha!

Good to know it's a firsthand experience. Did you made them or was from someone else's?

I'll probably give them a try as an experiment.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    It was someone else's.

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    In the US every county has some sort of agricultural extension office staffed by people whose only job is to educate the public re questions like yours.
    For free.
    If you are not in the US my only suggestion would be to ask around and see if there is a similar program or maybe even a school you could attend to learn more about the subject?

mimi

9. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm not in the US but now that you mention it I have an university specialized on agronomy and veterinary near home, I'll check if they have any kind of short course of seminars on the subject.

Still, the goal of this post is to read experiences from different people. I don't expect anyone here to teach me or give me an intensive course. So let's see if anyone else wants to add something :)

Thanks for the advice!

10. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    There are little kits sold for indoor gardening, we got my Dad one (from Amazon) for winter gardening (cherry tomatoes) and he enjoys it - but not as much as his regular garden the rest of the year. It would be an affordable way to try it out if you have access to Amazon or something similar.

We have a grower at our farmer's market doing lettuces and other greens that don't like our hot summers - it is great having local lettuce year round.

11. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the info! I've already found where to buy a starter set here, it'll carry 10 plants, mainly lettuces of different types.

Have you had the chance to try the ones that farmer to mention grows?

Regards!

12. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Oh yes, we get some every week. They are quite good and I really like how clean the lettuce is, there is less waste without having to lose the outer leaves. Most of what they do is butter lettuce, boston, and bibb types. They have also been working in arugula and other sharper flavors. They grow them vertically to maximize the use of space in the cooled greenhouses.

13. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sounds cool! Fell free to share some pics next time if you want :)
    Thanks for the info!