lentils

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by powerdog, Dec 22, 2010.

1. powerdog

powerdog

Exp:
    At home cook
    Has anyone actually found dirt or stones in their dried lentils? I think the wash/pick instruction was added by bean-company lawyers.

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Nope, disagree.

We have a fair amount of stones in our lentils, beans etc

Maybe just because of quality control here or because the best stuff goes to the first world.

I'll definitely sort through my pulses before cooking them as dentist here charge a fortune !!!!

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I've never found any in lentils or common beans, but have found them in chickpeas.

Most times, dried legumes need a good rinsing regardless, because there's lots of dust and other debris mixed in. But stones? Very rare in the U.S.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    When I was a kid in France we would find stones in our lentils. Since I've been in the U.S. I've never found a single one, and I never bother rinsing legumes before using. Reading what you're saying, KYH, I realize I may want to start to!

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    have found more getting lentils out of the bulk bin at the grocery store then in the small bags.

6. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     No, I can't say that I have found anything like that in dried legumes.  I do wash them anyway just to be safe.

7. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Not always, but I've found a few stones along the way.   Never hurts to rinse and check..

8. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Always rinse at least 2-3 times cold water......nowadays you just cannot leave anything to chance. Wash.

9. grumio

grumio

Exp:
    At home cook
    Stones like crazy in this otherwise nifty buckwheat from Russia a local market sells...  rotten way to start the day.

10. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have found what looked like little clumps of dried mud in pintos.  I also rinse and pick out anything that looks suspicious.

11. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have found plenty of stones in dried beans, but it's become less frequent in recent years.

12. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    The thing to understand with dried beans is that the majority of commercially grown ones are bush varieties which are mechanically harvested. So there is a greater chance of dirt, clods, and stones getting mixed in. Some packagers make a point of cleaning them, others don't.

13. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Working in a jail setting, we go through lots of beans.  We find (and are told about) plenty of rocks, though what I find more common are small clods of dirt that dissolve with a good rinse of the beans.  Even at home, I will do a quick glance through the beans before cooking or soaking them.  Lentils don't seem to have the problem as much, but I do find the occasional rock.  You should always do a cursory glance through any dried beans.  No company can guarentee 100% rock free dried beans.  Even the USDA understands this and has a threshold for foreign objects (rocks, dirt, insect parts) in dried beans.

14. farosa

farosa

Exp:
    Food Writer
    As an Indian, we use alot of lentils in our cooking. My grandmother always cleaned the dry lentils before rinsing out with cold water before cooking. I do the same it never hurts to be careful.

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My wife many years ago purchases a Birds Eye package of Frozen Lima beans she prepared and served them and wound up chipping a tooth on a stone.So check even frozen.

16. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    You should always do a cursory glance through any dried beans.

I don't think so, Pete. A cursory glance is how you wind up with stones on your plate.

If you're actually concerned, the best bet is to spread the beans on a flat surface, such as a cutting board or counter top, and physically move each bean into a bowl. Any rocks and most clods will show up that way. Then a quick rinse and you're good to go.

Rocks, twigs, and other debris are only a problem because most people won't take the time to actually sort through the beans.