lemongrass

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by toddlove8845, Oct 12, 2005.

1. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

Is there a big diffrence between fresh lemongrass and frozen? If you can get frozen for 1/4 the price is it worth it to buy fresh?

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Fresh is best, the lemongrass costs pennies a stalk, well maybe 50 cents so buy fresh if you can. If you purchase a bit extra you can thinly slice and freeze. If you buy it frozen then you'll have no idea how long it has been frozen. Also the most fragrant part of the lemongrass is the stalk end, if you start slicing at the root end, stop then the purple rings are no longer visible. The rest of the stalk is not that great but can be crushed and added to stocks and soups. Much of the frozen lemongrass out there is the yellow and green stalks with no purple bits in sight, no it is inferior. Just my 2 cents. I grow the stuff and have eaten it since I was a kid.

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    If you live in a warm climate, you can purchase some fresh for cooking and plant any extras for more than enough whenever you want to harvest.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Get fresh if you can, make sure it's green, not yellow and dried out. I like to bruise it heavily with the back of a knife, tie it up with roast string and add it in towhat ever I'm cooking. You can also slice it up and throw it into a s/s tea ball and toss that in to the liquid.