Lemon juice in Indian roti dough

Joined Dec 6, 2020
Does adding lemon juice in the dough extents its shelf life time? As I notice adding lemon juice can delay the appearances of black spots. But it also turned out weirdly bland, without any flavor. And I think it is the issues of adding lemon juice. Also, the roti tastes fresh and without the complex taste (sweetness) that brought by the long period of resting, as the longer you rest, the more flavor it creates. The results also came out less crisper than usual. I also tried to use vinegar and it came out the same. So does asorbic acid (vitamin C) would do the same "side effect" as I know this is a very common preservative when it comes to bread making, and it taste sour also. How much ascorbic acid need to be added in 1000g of flour?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
What kind of roti?

In general one gram for raised bread.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
An old baker's trick is to use lemon juice in doughs to "toughen" it up--in other words to get a softer all purpose or cake flour to behave like a stronger bread flour.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
An old baker's trick is to use lemon juice in doughs to "toughen" it up--in other words to get a softer all purpose or cake flour to behave like a stronger bread flour.

Joined Jan 22, 2018
Does adding lemon juice in the dough extents its shelf life time? As I notice adding lemon juice can delay the appearances of black spots. But it also turned out weirdly bland, without any flavor. And I think it is the issues of adding lemon juice. Also, the roti tastes fresh and without the complex taste (sweetness) that brought by the long period of resting, as the longer you rest, the more flavor it creates. The results also came out less crisper than usual. I also tried to use vinegar and it came out the same. So does asorbic acid (vitamin C) would do the same "side effect" as I know this is a very common preservative when it comes to bread making, and it taste sour also. How much ascorbic acid need to be added in 1000g of flour?
Yeah usually rotis are not crisp they are nice and soft with charred blisters through out. Usually for my roti I either use chick pea flour and water or whole wheat flour and water, maybe a bit of oil, then brushed with ghee and covered after cooking. If you are trying to extend the self life id get a bag of food grade citric acid granules and mess around with that. Why are you trying to make roti ahead of time to cook and store at room temp?

Top Bottom