Legalities of Culinary Teaching at home???

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ara gureghian, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ara gureghian

ara gureghian

Hello... again... I know that I am involved in the "Consulting" thread... and "A tough question" thread... and by now you are probably saying... this guy really does not know what direction to go... well... you would be right...
    I will repeat that after 39 years my true Passion in this field is the "actual" cooking... the physics... the chemistry... the presentations... colors... dimensions... textures... the organization... the technics... the mental path between yourself and the guests... and of course the greatest tastes... that does make guests roll their eyes...
    Consulting does not thrill me... being a Personal Chef with a few clients in this area does... but outmost I would love to pass on my knowledge to others... aspiring professionals or aspiring home cooks...
    I have this really nice house now... very adequate kitchen... an office with conference table and a stock of goods... tools... video ability... you name it... all this set up in the middle of 13 acres of Peace and quiet...
    I was given the idea, that would really thrill me, to have Culinary Classes here... with 2 students at the time... have not thought too much yet on the program that I would establish... and I would NOT be accredited... but I do think that many would be interested...
    Does anyone knows what the legalities would be by having such a Course at my house? Would I have to meet the same "commercial" requirements or?
    Of course I will check the State requirments... just maybe someone knows???
    Be well...
    Ara

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ara,
    Patricia Wells, Susan Loomas, both in France teaching from their respective homes....numerous teachers in Italy have cooking classes....$4000+ a week not including flt., lodging...etc.

2 students is very limited, to make monies they would need to pay an extrodinary amount. By increasing the number to 6-8-10 or more you've entered another ballpark that makes a non-accredited course accessable to the serious foodie. 2 seems to be more of an apprenticeship gig.

I would take a wild stab and say that if you are teaching and consuming the food after class a commercial kitchen is not necessary....if you are selling to the general public or wholesaling to businesses then you'd need the whole works.

3. ricib

ricib

here in St. Louis, where shroomgirl and I live, we have to have commercial quality kitchens and/or be licensed as such. Some parts of the country you do not. You may just need the county health inspector to do periodic check-ups of your place.

I do agree that ony a few people would be very limiting to your income. Maybe it's because you feel too many more people would be a bit much? We have a grocery store chain here that has excellent cooking classes provided for any level of foodies, where the "class size' is usually 10-12 people. Not everyone participates, in actual cooking, but everyone eats the food(s) prepared. Class prices range from about $25 - $50 last I checked. And last for a few hours.

I noticed on your website that you are in Florida, you'll probably get more money than we would here, and there's nothing saying you couldn't charge at least $100 for a whole (6 hour) day of teaching and cooking with each other, as well as tasting what you've all prepared. i'd love to have a chance to do this, where I could somewhat control what happened, as it's much different as you know, than a restaurant setting, and you can get people who actually want to learn something, not just people wanting some money as a job they may not be totally interested in.

Sorry to ramble on Sir.

4. ara gureghian

ara gureghian

No... rambling is good... truly...
    I understand the point of views and will definitly check with the local laws, that is for sure.
    I was thinking of a couple "guests/students" because of the amount of room that I have... I definitly could not have more than four... this would also be to their advantage as it would be a more personal deal... the money?... I don't want to sound presemptious but I am not in it for it... it is something I would like to do to pass on to other passionate people interested to aquire some serious knowledge...
    My web site is in the midst of some changes actually as I am not in Florida anymore but about 45mn's north of Atlanta in a beautiful setting... I really love it here...

http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/gallery/621175

As usual and as with everything else lately I will give it a lot of thoughts and will let you posted on the progress of this path...
    Thanks for your replies...
    Be well...

Ara

5. mikefly

mikefly

sign me up!!!
    hey ara if your in need of any web site help let me know!!!!!!
    and can we get some pics of your slice of heaven?????