Leftovee Cake crumbs for new cake?

Joined Oct 4, 2017
I got some recipes that include leftover cake crumbs into. Using hot water to cook or dissolve sugar, butter and the cake crumbs. Is this recipe correct or the method is right.?

Joined Oct 4, 2017
Won't you share more details of the recipe?
Hot water - 1000g
Brown sugar - 856g
Butter - 428g
Cake crumbs - 716g

Egg-344g

Rose flour - 428g
Cocoa powder - 284g
Baking powder - 24g
Baking soda - 12g
Recipe for chocolate moist

Joined Dec 18, 2010
But what's the method... or is that your question. Can't cream the first cluster of ingredients (at least I can't figure out how to do that). Biscuit method? I've never baked a cake using old cake crumbs but interested in hearing how this works out.

Joined Oct 4, 2017
But what's the method... or is that your question. Can't cream the first cluster of ingredients (at least I can't figure out how to do that). Biscuit method? I've never baked a cake using old cake crumbs but interested in hearing how this works out.

Method
First four ingredients bring to stove cook until all dissolve include the cake crumbs.
After dissolve everything add in the eggs slowly without cooking it n mix well. After that add in all the dry ingredients and mix well. Done.
The cake turn out to be success but a little bit dense and flat. Question is the recipe correct or my method is right. Feeling weird.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
IDK... that's the oddest cake recipe I've ever heard of. You might have to try it and let us know if the recipe/method works or not.

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
That sounds like a terrible cake recipe to be honest. And it totally stands to reason that it would turn out dense and flat considering the technique you described above. Just scrap it for heaven's sake.

By the way, what the heck is rose flour? Is it referring the brand name Red Rose Flour?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
But what's the method... or is that your question. Can't cream the first cluster of ingredients (at least I can't figure out how to do that). Biscuit method? IDK... that's the oddest cake recipe I've ever heard of.

It's called the 'one-stage method'. You can see it most prominently in the many recipes for Hostess cupcake. You basically melt all the liquid ingredients together, add the dry ingredients, mix and bake and done. The texture won't be as nice as cakes made with other methods, but it sure is quick and easy to do.

The cake turn out to be success but a little bit dense and flat. Question is the recipe correct or my method is right. Feeling weird.

It's dense because cake crumbs cannot rise. They're usually used as a binder; I don't know why your recipe calls for so much of them. And the amount of sugar is insane; plus, cake crumbs are already sweet too!

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Sometimes dense and flat can be a plus....when you are needing perfect torte layers for instance.
The real question is how was the mouth feel and taste after filling and icing.
Googled Rose flour and came up with a Five Roses (unbleached AP) brand out of Canada...is that it?
As for using up leftover cake crumbs there are some pretty interesting ideas out there.

mimi

Joined Oct 4, 2017
That sounds like a terrible cake recipe to be honest. And it totally stands to reason that it would turn out dense and flat considering the technique you described above. Just scrap it for heaven's sake.

By the way, what the heck is rose flour? Is it referring the brand name Red Rose Flour?
It's called the 'one-stage method'. You can see it most prominently in the many recipes for Hostess cupcake. You basically melt all the liquid ingredients together, add the dry ingredients, mix and bake and done. The texture won't be as nice as cakes made with other methods, but it sure is quick and easy to do.

It's dense because cake crumbs cannot rise. They're usually used as a binder; I don't know why your recipe calls for so much of them. And the amount of sugar is insane; plus, cake crumbs are already sweet too!
IDK... that's the oddest cake recipe I've ever heard of. You might have to try it and let us know if the recipe/method works or not.

red rose wheat flour from malaysia.
like all purpose flour

Joined Oct 4, 2017
Sometimes dense and flat can be a plus....when you are needing perfect torte layers for instance.
The real question is how was the mouth feel and taste after filling and icing.
Googled Rose flour and came up with a Five Roses (unbleached AP) brand out of Canada...is that it?
As for using up leftover cake crumbs there are some pretty interesting ideas out there.

mimi

my cakes come out dense flat and wet. the taste n texture kind of weird for me too.
red rose flour- brand MFM (MALAYAN FLOUR MILLS BERHAD)from malaysia.

Joined Oct 4, 2017

i just switch job from a hotel to a bakery cafe. got this recipe from my head of production. she ask me to follow her recipe n method so i did. turn out the cakes r wet after cutting it.

Joined Mar 4, 2015
the beginning of the method reminds a little bit of pate choux. It may be dense and flat if you are not letting the initial cooked mixture cool all the way before you add your eggs? you also have the addition of baking powder and soda, which grants extra leavening, but i feel like a good amount should come from your eggs in this case.

The cake crumbs won't add to the rise of the cake, but it seems like they would grab and hold onto moisture, and eggs to yield and denser, moist product.

Odd recipe indeed

Top Bottom