Least sour Blue Cheese

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That's what I'm looking for. Right now, I think that is a Dolce Gorgonzola. But if you know one even less sour, I'd be interested in what variety/brand that may be.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Bresse has a much shorter aging process than Roquefort. It is measured in weeks as opposed to months. This helps to contribute to a milder flavor.
Auvergne uses penicillium glaucum as opposed to the more standard penicillium roqueforti and a aging process that falls between the two above. These two factors contribute to a milder flavor.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Thank you all for your feed back. I'll have to see if those French cheeses are available, but the gorgonzola is readily available.

This comes down to a salad I had at Longhorn Steak House chain with their blue cheese dressing. It wasn't sweet, but it also wasn't as sour as many are. It worked quite well on their greens mix heavier on the mild cheaper ones like Iceberg and Romaine. I was thinking I might give such a dressing a go myself and see where else I might like it over the stronger varieties.

Top Bottom