Least favorite prep jobs

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I love cooking.  I hate chopping onions and de-veining shrimp.  And I hate peeling garlic which is why I buy peeled garlic.  And I hate cleaning pans that were used for cooking lamb.  What's your least favorite prep job?

My favorite jobs are chopping vegetables aside from onions.

Joined Sep 9, 2012
Peeling small things like turnips, inevitably I lose a fingertip or two while going too fast which oddly enough doesn't save time lol

Joined Nov 5, 2007
When I was in the business many decades ago my least favorite was stuffing the snail and butter into the shells. Could never really get into a Zen mode doing it, but I loved the way my fingers smelled!

mjb.

Joined Apr 4, 2012
With you on the onions and shrimp. Also hate blanching and peeling anything--tomatoes, peaches, etc. Avoid it at all costs. Pitting cherries. Also never do it. I eat cherries every day while they are in season but I never cook with them because I can't bring myself to pit them.

Does cleaning the refrigerator count? Mostly I hate it because it makes me realize how much food I waste--mostly in the way of overly aged condiments. And the freezer is even worse.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008
It counts 

@ChicagoTerry, it's not one of my least favorites but it's not a favorite.  I don't mind so much taking things out but scrubbing the inside of the fridge is no fun.  I don't like scrubbing the stove either.  Scrubbing the cabinetry is also no fun.  Any kind of cleaning I give it a thumbs down.

I've never cleaned and gutted a fish but I can imagine that would be awful which is why I avoid it.  This is why I can never audition for Masterchef lol 

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I simply hate making salads, but I do one just about every night.

I don't care for peeling pearl onions either, but I continue to peel them rather than use the boiling water trick.

Rick

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013

With you on the onions and shrimp. Also hate blanching and peeling anything--tomatoes, peaches, etc. Avoid it at all costs. Pitting cherries. Also never do it. I eat cherries every day while they are in season but I never cook with them because I can't bring myself to pit them.

Does cleaning the refrigerator count? Mostly I hate it because it makes me realize how much food I waste--mostly in the way of overly aged condiments. And the freezer is even worse.
I've been using matching vinyl placemats to line the fridge shelves, and rinse them off in the sink with warm soapy water. Makes cleanup a breeze.

http://www.2littlesuperheroes.com/2013/10/fridge-mats-2-placemats.html/

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Oh you pigs you! ;-)~

Donna insists we clean the fridge once a year and I'm always incensed as there is really very little to clean up.

Speaking of stuff hanging around too long in the freezer:  Our Whirlpool 24' sidebyside crapped out after just 5 years ( I inherited a GE from the 50's that ran for over 40 years), and we just replaced it with an LG 24' top-freezer, the only 24' TF made.  I would have liked something like a Bosch or a professional model but they're all too huge.  I bought the LG because the fridge section is larger, and the freezer, though smaller, is easier to maneuver in and the smaller size does discourage hoarding.  The plastic is a lot sturdier to, the Whirlpool after 5 years actually had the inside covered with fiberglass repair jobs (the women around here are a bit heavy handed).

Rick

Joined Jan 20, 2013
rick allen, even though it hurts to shell out. the new models are SO much more efficient. You'll probably notice a savings immediately and it will pay for itself in 2 years.

What do I hate? doing veggies in a tourne. It's pointless. Yeah, we all hate onions but got used to it. I still chip in every once in a while even though I hate it.
LOL about pitting cherries I can SO relate to eating them everyday but never cooking with them at home. What a hassle!

Last edited:
Joined May 5, 2010
"LOL about pitting cherries I can SO relate to eating them everyday but never cooking with them at home. What a hassle!"

Ah yes pitting cherries....as I look out onto the orchard and see 5 cherry trees filled with them. 

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Pitting cherries and olives is a bore and requires jazz and a beer, or glass of wine.  I pretty much enjoy anything I do with a knife - it's like sport for me.

Joined Oct 23, 2013
If I find myself hating a random task, I will pit myself against it first thing everyday until it is so second nature that I dont care anymore, that is things in my regular menus.

I do hate doing someone elses prep the day after the fact on the fly during the rush when said person has also called in.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Least favorite prep jobs- peeling pearl onions is near the top but I'm surprised no one has mentioned artichokes. I buy them every couple of years but they seem like too much work to me, especially since they brown out so quickly, and I always forget to buy a lemon to prevent that.

Pitting cherries can be a lot easier with a pitter. I have one that has a square plastic container on the bottom to hold the pits and the top has a tray for the cherries and a plunger with a  spout. I did twenty five pounds of cherries in about an hour this year. It didn't cost very much and makes the pitting so much easier.  

The only link I found is from Williams-Sonoma for $30 but I don't remember paying that much. 

Otherwise I would have to agree that peeling onions and garlic are the biggest pain. While i don't like the peeling part, what really irks me is that there always seems to be a bit of the peel lurking around the cutting board, no matter how well I think I've wiped it clear. 

Joined Jul 28, 2001
I hate peeling someone elses hard boiled eggs that are not properly done.  m.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 15, 2015
Pulling an idea for an omelette filling out of my @** every morning and roasting it in the oven. Also cutting cheese for said omelettes.

Top Bottom