Least favorite prep jobs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jul 11, 2015.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love cooking.  I hate chopping onions and de-veining shrimp.  And I hate peeling garlic which is why I buy peeled garlic.  And I hate cleaning pans that were used for cooking lamb.  What's your least favorite prep job?

My favorite jobs are chopping vegetables aside from onions.

2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Peeling small things like turnips, inevitably I lose a fingertip or two while going too fast which oddly enough doesn't save time lol

3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Making beer battered onion rings every day.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When I was in the business many decades ago my least favorite was stuffing the snail and butter into the shells. Could never really get into a Zen mode doing it, but I loved the way my fingers smelled!

mjb.

5. pepper grind

pepper grind

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Opening the can.

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I do about half a head at a time in a shaker jar, which isn't too bad.

mjb.

7. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    With you on the onions and shrimp. Also hate blanching and peeling anything--tomatoes, peaches, etc. Avoid it at all costs. Pitting cherries. Also never do it. I eat cherries every day while they are in season but I never cook with them because I can't bring myself to pit them.

Does cleaning the refrigerator count? Mostly I hate it because it makes me realize how much food I waste--mostly in the way of overly aged condiments. And the freezer is even worse.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It counts 

@ChicagoTerry, it's not one of my least favorites but it's not a favorite.  I don't mind so much taking things out but scrubbing the inside of the fridge is no fun.  I don't like scrubbing the stove either.  Scrubbing the cabinetry is also no fun.  Any kind of cleaning I give it a thumbs down.

I've never cleaned and gutted a fish but I can imagine that would be awful which is why I avoid it.  This is why I can never audition for Masterchef lol 

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  10. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I simply hate making salads, but I do one just about every night.

I don't care for peeling pearl onions either, but I continue to peel them rather than use the boiling water trick.

Rick

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dude, I buy those froze too haha.  

12. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I've been using matching vinyl placemats to line the fridge shelves, and rinse them off in the sink with warm soapy water. Makes cleanup a breeze.

http://www.2littlesuperheroes.com/2013/10/fridge-mats-2-placemats.html/

13. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh you pigs you! ;-)~

Donna insists we clean the fridge once a year and I'm always incensed as there is really very little to clean up.

Speaking of stuff hanging around too long in the freezer:  Our Whirlpool 24' sidebyside crapped out after just 5 years ( I inherited a GE from the 50's that ran for over 40 years), and we just replaced it with an LG 24' top-freezer, the only 24' TF made.  I would have liked something like a Bosch or a professional model but they're all too huge.  I bought the LG because the fridge section is larger, and the freezer, though smaller, is easier to maneuver in and the smaller size does discourage hoarding.  The plastic is a lot sturdier to, the Whirlpool after 5 years actually had the inside covered with fiberglass repair jobs (the women around here are a bit heavy handed).

Rick

14. harrisonh

harrisonh

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    rick allen, even though it hurts to shell out. the new models are SO much more efficient. You'll probably notice a savings immediately and it will pay for itself in 2 years.

What do I hate? doing veggies in a tourne. It's pointless. Yeah, we all hate onions but got used to it. I still chip in every once in a while even though I hate it.
    LOL about pitting cherries I can SO relate to eating them everyday but never cooking with them at home. What a hassle!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  15. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    "LOL about pitting cherries I can SO relate to eating them everyday but never cooking with them at home. What a hassle!"

Ah yes pitting cherries....as I look out onto the orchard and see 5 cherry trees filled with them. 

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Pitting cherries and olives is a bore and requires jazz and a beer, or glass of wine.  I pretty much enjoy anything I do with a knife - it's like sport for me.

17. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I find myself hating a random task, I will pit myself against it first thing everyday until it is so second nature that I dont care anymore, that is things in my regular menus.

I do hate doing someone elses prep the day after the fact on the fly during the rush when said person has also called in.

18. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Least favorite prep jobs- peeling pearl onions is near the top but I'm surprised no one has mentioned artichokes. I buy them every couple of years but they seem like too much work to me, especially since they brown out so quickly, and I always forget to buy a lemon to prevent that.

Pitting cherries can be a lot easier with a pitter. I have one that has a square plastic container on the bottom to hold the pits and the top has a tray for the cherries and a plunger with a  spout. I did twenty five pounds of cherries in about an hour this year. It didn't cost very much and makes the pitting so much easier.  

The only link I found is from Williams-Sonoma for $30 but I don't remember paying that much. 

Otherwise I would have to agree that peeling onions and garlic are the biggest pain. While i don't like the peeling part, what really irks me is that there always seems to be a bit of the peel lurking around the cutting board, no matter how well I think I've wiped it clear. 

19. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I hate peeling someone elses hard boiled eggs that are not properly done.  m.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  20. lampy33

lampy33

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Pulling an idea for an omelette filling out of my @** every morning and roasting it in the oven. Also cutting cheese for said omelettes.