Le Creuset vs Lodge

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by psgpkr, Apr 1, 2013.

1. psgpkr

psgpkr

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am a Lodge fan for cast iron cookware, they are of high quality. So why are Le Creuset so much more expensive? Are they that much better? I really doubt it, but would like your input.

2. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Le Creuset are more expensive, in my opinion, because of two(2) reasons ... they are pretty and people will pay for them.  I like Lodge. 

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    At this forum I've come to two conclusions: they both cook things well.  But when wine (especially red) or acidic foods are to be cooked, then avoid cast iron and use either stainless steel or enamel coated cookware, i.e. Le Creuset.  When it comes to enamelware the latter is considered THE best quality.

4. psgpkr

psgpkr

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a Lodge enameled Dutch oven that I like very much. I make chili in it at least once a month, as well as other highly acidic dishes, never had a problem.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What I ended up purchasing off of ebay was a 6 Qt Dutch Oven off ebay.  A darned great deal.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  6. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    They have a better warranty

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's a Mauviel copper pot that what was purchased.  No problems concerning the copper coat that I've ever heard of.  None.

8. hiracer

hiracer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have both, Lodge and Le Creuset enamaled cast iron.  I can discern no performance or durability differences.  Further, I very much prefer Lodge's tulip shape for the Dutch oven.  It's much easier to stir.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The Lodge unit, is it still manufactured with the raised spots on the lip of the lid?

10. hiracer

hiracer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My was; my GF's Dutch oven purchased three weeks ago is not.

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    5 or 6 QT model?  Show me at amazon.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  12. hiracer

hiracer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  13. hiracer

hiracer

Exp:
    Home Cook
    OK, last night I made a fish soup at GF's house using her Lodge enamaled dutch oven.  I swear that the pot itself seemed different, like the sides of the pot were thinner than mine and the bottom was thicker.  It handled differently when empty; the balance seemed different.  I am out of town for a while, but next week I am taking my DO to her place to compare the two side by side.  My curiousity is up.

14. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef

I've always wanted a big le Creuset cast iron pot, but could never justify spending that kind of money. Then along came, of all names, PYREX. The stunning colour had me from the word go. Normally they are £80-about $120, but Tesco supermarket has us collecting stickers with our shopping and with 10 of them you can buy this beautiful 4ltre pot for £29 $45. I love it. Only had it 2 weeks and its been really well used. Well i do keep it on the hob, so its handy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the nobbles on the lid for? I saw you mentioned them with the Lodge koko. Can i assume they're something to do with getting the vapour back into the food? 

I

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ...the f*** if I know.  Never saw anything like that.   And after all said and done, I'll go get me a Mauviel for 2X the price and be done with it FOREVER AFTER.

16. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    koko! that was some reaction guy. Was it me pot or me spots that got ya?

Dont know about USA, but Pyrex is a well known, decades old firm making quality oven ware up till now. This is a maHOOsive step up from their traditional lines n i love it.

What the F****s a Mauviel?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think that they're there to allow the steam to bleed off, to prevent the water from becoming superheated beyond 212F.

18. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheers koko. Happy cooking 

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Go here and explore, grasshopper!

20. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ah Sensei, why do you torment me. 

Blooming Gorgeous koko. I wish my ancient copper pans looked like that. A couple of them need re-tinned but i never use them. silly really cos if i had the ones you teased me with id use them all the time. 

Thank you