Le Cordon Bleu VS Culinary Institute of America

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by plumpycheeks, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Le Cordon Bleu - London

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Culinary Institute of America - New York

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. plumpycheeks

plumpycheeks

Exp:
    Culinary Student
  2. jedvidlim

jedvidlim

Exp:
    Line Cook
    hi plumpy cheeks,

both are good schools.  just my opinion, either way you cant go wrong.  what will set you apart is your passion and desire to learn :) good luck! but if given a choice, its LCB , no second thoughts. = )

nicko likes this.
  3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @plumpycheeks  I have attended both schools /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. I attended the    in 1990 and it was outstanding. About 5 years ago I took a one day bread making class at    which was also excellent. I guess my question for you is what are your goals. You will already have a pastry degree so what are you goals that you would need a culinary degree. While I think attending the CIA is a life changing experience (beautiful campus, excellent school, etc) it is incredibly expensive $60,000 USA dollars and that is a lot for a culinary degree. My personal advice would be if you are going to have to go $60K in debt to go their then I would not. I would take the two years you were going to go to school and work your way around the US for two years at the top restaurants. You would not end up broke at the end and you would have some amazing experience. I am not sure of the exact cost of Le Cordon Bleu but I don't think it is much less expensive honestly.

@jedvidlim  did you go to culinary school? If so where?

4. jedvidlim

jedvidlim

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi Nicko,

I jave just finished my 2 year course in culinary arts last year. I studied at the International Culinary Arts Academy Cebu. Its the only school in the Philipines that offers the City and Guilds program from London. School is kinda small with only a max of 12 per class... and we get the best equipment. Ive worked in the local 5 star hotel, also worked in the US at a Starwood property, been to thailand for some private lessons too. And currently applying for Spain for the 2014 ICEX gastronomy program.

5. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
  6. jedvidlim

jedvidlim

Exp:
    Line Cook
    @Nicko far cheaper than JW ad CIA.. the cost for the 2 year course is around 12k usd.. but you have to think that the minimum wage in the philippines is around 10 usd per day. = )

7. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @jedvidlim  That is a huge discount from the US prices which in my opinion have almost made the value of a 2 year Associates degree in culinary arts not worth the investment. But as you say all things being relative the cost is still quite high for the average student in the Philippines