Le Bernardin

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I just got back from new york, I was treated to dinner at Le bernardin with my wife,sister in law and her friend. It's my 40 birthday. I ust wanted to share this wonderful experence with you guys. We all decided to opt for the chefs tasting menu, 6 courses. we started with shaved Geoduck clam simlpy marinated in lime and cilantro,and seaweed toast,Briney,sweet and different , we had a mercury white burgungy , then came mini crouge moinsuirs with greyere,smoked salmon and osetra caviar, the plate was garished with a mosaic of Granny smith,cucumber and tomato, a little upland crees as well. so tasty. Then came lobster cannalloni with black trumpet mushrooms and a intense anise-saffron broth,Domaine Laflave Pulingy Montrachet was the perfect foil.then came the best shrimp any of us had ever eaten,fresh north carilina shrimp in a oh so light curry coconut broth with brunoise of avocado,sweet potato and tomato. I cannot explain how refined this dish was, it was incredible.then came lighly seared black bass with merloy Verjus topped with botonnes of turnip and carrot, we moved to a red burgungy, foxen in the cote de nuits, then roast whole peach filled with exotic fruit sorbet (Passion fruit,guava and mango) with tiny dice of peach and plum around the plate. ofcourse petit fours and a warm bittersweet chocolate tort that cought all the senses.needless to say this was one of the best meals I have ever eaten, and I have been to most of the citys temples of cuisine. the tasting menu was 120.00 a person not including wine or tip. (you do the math)but it is a bargain compared to Ducasse. I think at this time Le Bernardin is the finest restaurant in the city bar none

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Happy Birthday!
Glad you had a great meal. Who's running the kitchen now, do you know? Is the late chef's sister still involved?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Thank you for birthday wishes.
Eric Ripert is the chef and he has been there many years and worked under the late Gilbert Le coze. And yes Gilberts sister is still involved. Her name is maguy. I highly recommend there cook book. simply called Le Bernardin

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Happy Birthday!
You discription is so viseral....i love virtual eating...vicariously soaking up details.
I have pc clients that eat all over the world and that is one of their favorite restaurants. Your description tells me why.

Top Bottom