Lavender and roasted veggies

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cook-e, Aug 10, 2010.

1. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I had some roasted carrots  flavored with lavender, and LOVED them.  I tried this at home - but most have done something wrong.  I tossed the carrots in EVOO, and some chopped lavender  - I used the fragrant leaves, the blossoms were already gone.  Roasted them at 425.  Carrots were sweet and delicious... but I could hardly taste the lavender... Was the oven too hot... can the leaves be used instead of the flowers... what's the best way to use this wonderful herb? 

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Toss it in just for the last few minutes of cooking. Can even be done just out of the oven before serving.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    As Phil implies, fresh herbs should be used at the last minute. They're at their best, in fact, when the only cooking comes from the residual heat of the dish.

For future reference, the blossoms of lavender are more heavily flavored than the leaves. But it's a flavor you don't want to go overboard with.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I personally can't eat lavender. Tastes like perfumed soap to me. So know the preferences of those you serve it too.

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd be more inclined to use rosemary - lavender is an acquired taste!

6. cook-e

cook-e

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you so much everyone/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif