Latke Double Down

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Introducing the Latke Double Down:

Ingredients:
    • 1 pound potatoes
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
    • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
    • 1 T flour or matzo meal (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper, grapeseed, olive or peanut oil
    • lox or smoked salmon
    • crème fraiche or sour cream
    • chives or green onion, chopped
    • chopped lettuce, optional
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
    2. Peel potatoes and coarsely grate, directly into a large bowl of cold water.
    3. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after last batch is added to water, then drain well in a colander.
    4. Spread grated potatoes, garlic and onion on a kitchen towel, roll up and wring out as much liquid as possible.
    5. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in egg and salt.  If it’s too runny add a little flour or matzo meal.  Too dry add a little bit more egg.
    6. Heat a large skillet. Add enough oil to cover the bottom plus a bit more. Get the oil hot but not smoking. Use a spoon to potato mixture into skillet, spreading with the back of the spoon into 3 or 4-inch rounds.
    7. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until undersides are very well browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook until undersides are very well browned, about 5 minutes more.  You want walnut brown, not beige.
    8. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Add more oil to skillet as needed.
    9. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven.
    10. To make the Double Down, spread crème fraiche on one side of a latke, pile on lox and onions, spread some crème fraiche on another latke, then make into a sandwich.
    It took me all of 20 minutes to make the Double Down Latke Sandwich.  Grate, wring, fry, slather.  I could have done it faster, but you’ll notice I spent so much time in hair, makeup and wardrobe. 

Find out the origins of the Latke Double Down @ JewishJournal.com/foodaism

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  2. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Aha, latke is simply synonym for rösti! Didn't know that. A little too much fat for my taste.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    And an obvious piece of spam, if you ask me.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Until we have something like this, it's just another way to reply: via video rather than by typing. If it gets overwhelming, then I'd agree, KYH: banning.

Back to the topic: this is a great idea! And I'll bet it's way less unhealthful than the BK Doubledown burger. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think it's spam, too.

One recipe, and a link to another cookery site.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    1 post and it is a link to another site? Spam!

7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Mezz, I could care less whether its text or video. The whole point of it is to drive us to the other site.

I mean, really. What we have is a run of the mill recipe for latkas, turned into a not very creative sandwich. But this first-time poster spares no opportunity to tout his own site.

Sorry, but If that's not spam we've never had any.