Late, bad attitude cook

Joined Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, your probably gonna get fried for that, at least he wasnt employed with you very long, if he thinks you will give him a good reference you might be alright though.
you think they will go through all my employees and get me for everyone?

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
For an eight hour shift, an employee is entitled to 2 (10 minute each) paid breaks, so in effect an employee works 7 hours and 40 minutes, yet gets paid for 8 hours. I don't believe they have to show on the time card because they are paid breaks, but I am not sure about. The breaks are actually one break for every 4hours worked and they are supposed to be as close to the middle of the 4 hour shift as is possible.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
WAIT A MINUTE!  Don't try to read anything into it. You have enough evidence for your actions. The unemployment dept. will not waste any time with this. You might receive a call. Just be stern and explain his release. It will end right there. I don't know about your state, but most states only recognize business with 25 or more employees.

Give him everything he is asking for within reason, and quickly.

Then move on. Don't waste another minute on it. If something happens, then something happens. You can't worry about it.

Most people listen to friends and acquaintances on these type of things. 9 times out of ten they don't have a clue.

The worst case scenario is unemploy. calls you to a hearing. Just hire an attorney, pay him $ 200. and you'll never hear anything. This situation would require less time than a traffic ticket.

Joined May 5, 2010
From Panini....."For instance, an Employment-at-will State usually does not require any reason to terminate any employee at any time. My State is one."

I believe that this holds true for any employer any where in the USA not just employment at will states.

No employer anywhere is obligated to give reason to terminate an employee.at any time.

If you delve into the nitty gritty of the federal employment rules that hang by the punch clocks at work, you'll find this to be true.

Large and small corporations create their employee hand books to coincide with these rules to that end, and set up the documentation and discipline areas to protect themselves against possible lawsuits.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
@Chefross  ,

I was referencing to getting unemployment benefits if someone is fired. That is left up to each state not the feds. Even in a at-will state the employer will usually have

to provide UnEm. with some factual information if an employee applies after being terminated for some sort of misconduct or other offence. Here, having a wittiness is about

the only thing that carries weight for immediate decision at a hearing.

Agreed, you can terminate for any reason. But you will be challenged if it has to do with what I mentioned above. gender, sex, age, disability, their origin or birthplace, religion etc.

Top Bottom