Last Meal

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by loomchick, Sep 22, 2018.

1. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is more related to food than cooking, but I recently found myself intrigued by an answer to the question "What would you choose for your last meal?"

I was taking a cooking class that lasted for a few weeks. Sometime during the second week, we started talking about what we would have as a last meal. I asked our chef instructor and she told us she would have to think about it and would tell us later.

Sometime the following week, the chef instructor told us her last meal would be Chick-Fil-A. Needless to say, we were surprised. First, because she's a talented chef (and a very good instructor) and I thought she would come up with something more exotic. Second, I'm not sure what the big deal is about Chick-Fil-A. We don't have them in our area. I've tried Chick-Fil-A a few times while I'm traveling. I even made a point to stop by while I was on a business trip the other day.

Is there something about Chick-Fil-A that I'm missing? What would you choose for your last meal? (Fast food as a choice for chefs and home cooks seems odd.)

2. Emojitsu

Emojitsu

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Let's be real, it's fast food. That being said, it's some of the best fast food I've ever eaten.

-I've never been to a Chick-Fil-A that didn't have exceptional service. Whatever training program they have for their employees is fantastic. It definitely contributes to the overall experience.
    -Once you do chicken as long as they have, you get REALLY good at making chicken. Their chicken easily rivals competitors in quality and taste.
    -I believe their lemonade has cocaine or some similar substance. I work across from one, and I'm thinking about the lemonade right now. That, and the honey roasted BBQ sauce.

All controversy aside, it's a very solid fast food chain, one that might be worth another visit, should you ever have the opportunity again.

As for as my last meal? Probably a burger from a local burger joint (Jiffy Burger in Manchester TN), a slice of deep dish pizza, and frozen yogurt from Minchies or some such place. And of course, an Arnold Palmer from Chick-Fil-A :)

drirene and loomchick like this.
  3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My last meal would be Endless Shrimp from Red Lobster.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I haven’t had chic filet in a long time but it’s pretty good, not last meal worthy for me but I think it’s a solid choice. I think what you might be most concerned with is why would a highly trained culinary chef choose fast food as their last meal instead of let’s say a meal at Per Se? Well it’s because most chefs from what I gather get burnt out from good food and at the end of a shift would rather grab a burger than prepare another plate of filet mignon with truffled potatoes.

Since I’ve been forced into a gluten free life through no choice of my own I can easily say that my last meal would be Popeyes fried chicken, with Tom Colicchio’s pomme purée followed by a dozen Krispy Kreme hot plain donuts. But someone would have to kill me immediately after so I don’t suffer the intestinal distress that will surely follow lol.

loomchick likes this.
  5. toddhicks209

toddhicks209

Exp:
    amateur, food blogger
    Mine would likely consist of pasta.

6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I'd fast. Eating is a joyous activity. I'd be too depressed to enjoy food.

7. Jonathan K

Jonathan K

Exp:
    Very little
    Dude, if it was my last meal and I was at Red Lobster, I think I'd just go ahead and order the whole menu. I don't think I'd have much to loose at that point!

8. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I see what you did there...

9. Jonathan K

Jonathan K

Exp:
    Very little
    Wait a sec...was your instructor maybe assuming it was a last meal for a prison inmate on death row? In that case she might have chose Chic-fil-a because there's a $20 limit.

dectra likes this.
  10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Did any of you consider the meaning of a last meal? The questions is not.. what is your favorite food. It's what do you want your last food memory in your life to be?

Most people will want some kind of comfort food, as dying is a pretty disconcerting thing. I'm sure for the instructor, for whatever reason at that time of their life chick-fil-a food would be a source of comfort food. Could have been the food they had on a first date.. when their mom and dad finally divorced.. where grandma and grandpa took them when their baby brother came into the world. There are a lot of reasons something like chick-fil-a would be a last meal that don't really have to do with chicken or waffle cut fries.

11. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's because your a smart cookie!

drirene likes this.
  12. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ... but it may as well be favorite as opposed to the last food memory. After we are gone that memory is gone too. :)

Me... for my last meal I think I'd just opt for a tall glass of cool spring water.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My favorite food IS my comfort food.

14. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You guys are all terrible at this game, lol :lol:

(except BillyB)

eastshores and loomchick like this.
  15. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Interesting point.

16. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    o_O Yea I guess I went off the deep end a little bit lol

I think I'd want my moms chicken and dumplings. And then the endless shrimp!

17. alisondozon

alisondozon

Exp:
    Rojo Pastaaaa :)

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    When down south last fall for a few visits (Raleigh/Durham NC) I tried chickfila at least 3 times at different locations, always unexceptional. Chicken dry and coating resembled nothing at all like the Serious Eats make-it-yourself version. It was mostly a rather interesting thin coating with an interestingly grainious texture that must have used modified starches to make it cling so tenaciously.

19. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Heck, you don't know that! For all you know you could be on one white fluffy cloud with your glass of water while I'm on the next one with my cool bottomless chocolate mousse.

Hmmm... Tis also possible that my mousse turns into very hot chocolate. Lol!

koukouvagia likes this.