Last herb/spice you bought

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Jan 18, 2010.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I picked up some Dill Weed this morning for a cucumber salad. Didn't think I was out or one of the kids spilled my old jar and didn't tell me.

2. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Most recently I bought some star anise for some pho that I finally got around to making.

dan

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If you can't remember when you last bought it, then it's time to buy new. Dill is one of those herbs that just doesn't last.

But you knew that. ;)

I've tried keeping a list of what I've got and storing them in trays together by cuisine (Asian; Indian; Latin American), but I still get confused and forget to buy more OR think I'm out when I'm not and end up buying doubles. :p

4. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Albahaca- got it in Spain, I don't know if there is an English work but it kinda tastes like a combination of basil and mint.

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's basil. Usually labeled as hojas de albajaca

6. ritzy

ritzy

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I try not to buy dried herbs if I can help it, I grow as many as possible myself. But there is one thing I cannot manage to grow and that is coriander, no matter how I try, they always die. The big bummer is, I cant buy it in Spain either, they just dont use it here, or if they do, they dont sell it anywhere that I know of.
    So, the last herb I would have bought would have been coriander, if indeed there was any to buy.

7. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Coriander for my soups and salads
    Fennel
    Mint - for tea (home) / garnishes (work)

8. ritzy

ritzy

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Albahaca is one form of basil, of which there are many. They use the full albahaca plant in summer to ward of mosquitos, it works too.

9. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Regular albahaca is just sweet basil. I'm not sure where the hint o'mint in yours comes from. Maybe the soil in which it was grown.

There are some other albahacas like albahaca aquatica which are one kind of thistle or another.

Last herbs we bought were fresh tarragon, cilantro, Italian parsley, and basil from a "Mediterranean" (really Lebanese/Armenian) super nearby. We'll go to some other ethnic supers today or tomorrow and get other fresh stuff, like garlic scape, cilantro and so on. Last dry stuff was, I think, smoked paprika from a local Italian deli (Claro's) which has very good prices on some things.

Herb heaven 'round here -- especially if you can navigate around places where English as a spoken language doesn't get spoken, and if you don't want distinctly western European or east coast type stuff. Good luck finding fresh sorrel or savory for instance. Saw grass? No problem.

BDL

10. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ah cool! It taste different than the Italian basil though.

11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I almost never buy dry herbs because I grow so many of my own, and dry the surplus. One exception is basil; I see no use for dry basil at all, and never use it.

If y'all consider lemon grass to be an herb, then that was the last fresh herb I bought.

As to spices, last one I bought was ajwain.

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Just bought some fresh thyme and parsley - making roast chicken with potatoes tonight and the thyme is going to be added to the potatoes and chicken after it's cooked.

But I was glad I had fresh herbs around: I opened a can of sardines, crushed them in a bowl with minced shallots, minced parsley and thyme, olive oil, softened butter, fleur de sel, pepper and squeeze a bit of lemon juice in it, which we then spreaded on toasted bread. I'm going to make a couple of sweet crepes later, which should hold us until tonight's roast chicken! :peace:

13. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Just bought some Sumac for a taste and try. Not real sure what to do with it :rolleyes:

Gotta get me some more tumeric and smoky paprika.....borrowed bunch of osemaary from local plant I found :D

14. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    DC: have you made a note to yourself to return it when you're finished using it? :smiles:

Me...

I picked up some basil, fennel leaf and parsley at the market last night. Made a seafood chowder with clams, scallops, cod, shrimp and crab.

Joe

15. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    DC, the sumac will have a slightly sour, citrusy flavor. Very much like lemon. In fact, there are places where it's used to make an erstwhile lemonade.

It's mostly used in Mid-Eastern foods, either alone, or as a component of a spice mixture called Z'ataar.

16. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like sumac as part of the seasoning for chicken or pork. Good accent/garnish on lemon rice and starch salads. Good in some green salads depending on dressing.

Lots of soluble red color when used in a rub.

Also commonly part of a seasoning called za'atar/zartar with many applications. I like it as an accent to toasted pita and hummus as well as for roasting/grilling different meats and even some vegies.

17. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Lemon pepper and rogan josh spice mix, from Penzey's.

18. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    asafoetida

19. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I bought some of that once and had to store it in the garage as it has such a strong odor. Too much for in the house.

Spices Etc once had an essay on the worst spices to package. Chile peppers where pretty high on the list but the worst was asafoetida. Stinky, sticky, insidious.

Sure tastes good in a cooked dish though.

20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Just sprinkle it on any salad, on raw onions you use as garnish for Mediterranean food, on hummus, etc...