Lasagna

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 13, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do you make it?  How?  Do you know anything about its roots?  Are there different kinds of traditional Italian lasagna?  Personally I've only ever liked lasagna bolognese, I never touch the ricotta/red sauce stuff because I never liked it.  But I'm a little bored with the bolognese, looking for something interesting.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Vegetable or Seafood lasagna, Three cheese , Chicken etc. 

And for dessert a fruit lasagna  using square crepe skins and layers of fruit and cottage or farmers cheese

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can also make a mushroom lasagna,or make a white lasagna without ricotta and use a béchamel  onlyl 

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Try eggplant instead of pasta for the layering.  Mushroom sounds good you could make a mushroom based "gravy" and use  Pecorino for some bite and maybe Fontina for a creamy texture.

5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    My lasagna is far from traditional but well liked, also a heart attack on a plate form all the cheese! 5 cheese lasagna made with the following ratio:

1 pound very thick meat sauce that doesn't have a lot of tomato. Sauce should not run or drip.

1 pound drained cottage cheese(I hate ricotta texture, can sub it),

1 pound mozzarella,

8 oz parm,

8 oz romano,

8 oz cheddar(for the top, makes a nice crust).

Start with a little meat sauce in the bottom of a pan, add a layer of noodles then layer the meat, cottage cheese, mozz, parm, Romano cheeses.  Repeat ending with a layer of noodles that you top with a layer of mozz and the cheddar. Bake covered for 1 hour at 350 then uncover and cook until the top cheese is browned and crunchy.

6. mano

mano

Exp:
    Other
    Fresh pasta rolled thinner than store-bought. Lasagna is such a heavy dish, this lightens it up considerably.

To really impress guests make 1/3 of the sheets red (red pepper), 1/3 green (spinach) and 1/3 without coloring. Arrange colors to match the Italian flag. Be a bit stingy with the top layer of sauce and cheese so they see the flag.

Sounds like something from one of those white-bread cooking magazines, but people like it.

7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Lasagna. I've made Bolognese, seafood, veg. All good. Check the pasta challenge for my last lasagna. Totally made up but I'm proud of it. 

Try this one. Don't click if you dislike Martha Stewart. 

Butternut squash with sage and amaretti cookies. Quite good. 

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Great link Jake - I have some butternut ravioli in the freezer - gotta love Aldi.

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    what about a lasagna rolls made with your choice of veggies (spinach, aubergine, `shrooms, zucc, summer squash) and sauce, just a little mozz (leaving out the ricotta),

tucked into a lasagna dish covered with some sauce (how about a white sauce) maybe a sprinkle of some parm and baked through

I've never tried this version, but have seen it done several times on cooking programs

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    K-Girl that sounds like a great way to get kids eating - ding ding ding!!!

11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Same basic ingredient but lead it down a different path.
    Try Mexican spices and herbs, onions and peppers and tomato.
    I use lots of cumin and Mex oregano and the crumbly white cheese ( sorry having brain gas.....what is that cheese called???) .
    Sharp cheddar like in a crispy corn taco.
    Great served with simple lettuce and tomato salad.
    Fruit salad for that something sweet afterward (pineapple, mango some melon maybe coconut curls).

mimi

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Some great things here, taco lasagna sounds kind of awesome!

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hope nobody calls the lasagna police on me but a couple of  "different" lasagnas I have done

Moroccan Inspired Couscous Lasagna Zucchini, Cauliflower, Eggplant, and Tomatoes simmered in Charmoula and layered with Preserved Lemon Couscous and Fontina Cheese in the manner of Lasagna and baked in a hot oven, then topped with a Cumin scented Tomato Sauce

Southwestern Lasagna Corn Tortillas layered with Poblano Chiles, grilled Kale, Pumpkin, Goat Cheese, and a spicy Tomato Sauce

and a few more that are closer to the norm

Ratatouille Lasagna filled with Eggplant, Zucchini,  Red Bell Peppers, Tomatoes , and Ricotta

Caramelized Onion Lasagna Oven baked Lasagna with caramelized Red Onions, grilled Zucchini, and a Gorgonzola Sauce

Spinach, Wild Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Lasagna Lasagna with a filling of Spinach, Portobellos, Shiitakes, and Chevre

14. dobzre

dobzre

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love Todd English's version (who? :p)

Italian sausage

Ground beef

Tomato sauce

Whole Basil Leaves

Ricotta

Aged Mozzarella

Finished with Bechamel sauce

15. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Best one I made was probably a bolognese-style lasagne, but with a deboned and chopped up rabbit as meat for the bolognese.

16. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Make the lasagna just 5 minutes short of ready and let it cool completely, even in the fridge. Cut into serving sizes and freeze. It's easier to cut when chilled than warm. Rick Bayless suggests this. Seems like a good idea. 

17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    UHH!!! I'm trying this one, for sure.  We're kid-sitting the grand-nwphews and the only type of cheese that they can do is goat, I think they'll like this one.

18. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Anything with red sauce & goat cheese is a winner in my book! I'm making lazy man's lasagne Sunday (aka baked ziti)

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Confession, I don't like goat cheese. I feel bad about that.

20. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Re Lasagna, Wise geek can give you more detailed info re the noodle, dish, etc. I've been making the dish for many years, but have put my own personal twist on the dish. Prefer the cheesy meaty version.

Different takes:

Greek Lasagna - similar to Pastitsio, but using lasagna noodles, ground lamb and the usual suspects with bechamel sauce..

Lasagna roll-ups - many ways to go:

spinach & cheese w/ tomato/vodka sauce

asparagus wrapped in prosciutto topped w/ brown butter sauce

Roasted vegetables - use anything seasonal

Zukes & summer squash w/ bechamel

Caprese Lasagna roll-ups - using fresh sliced tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, ricotta, parm, egg, topped with marinara & cheese

Salmon, cream cheese & dill, with bechamel

Lasagna cupcakes (baked in muffin tins) - Many ways to go, from meat sauce & cheese, to artichokes & bechamel.

The "quickie" method, that's been around for awhile, is ravioli "lasagna" with layers of spinach & cheese, tomato sauce.

Mexican Lasgana - using tortillas

Asian lasagna - using won-ton wrappers/skins & a Moo Shoo filling

Crepe lasagna

Polenta lasagna

Deconstructed lasagna - Cooked lasagna noodles skewered with cherry tomatoes, basil & cubes of mozzarella.

Last edited: May 18, 2014