Large group for a NY Restaurant

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Quick question....

A whole gaggle of us (around 30) from my company are headed north to the It'l Restaurant & Foodservice Show @ the Javits in a few weeks. Can anybody suggest a place than can accomodate this lively bunch? We can spend $$ but not $$$$. Any ideas??

Joined May 26, 2001
Hmmm. I'll work on that and post soon. Hope we can get together while you're here!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hey Suzanne,

What do you think about cocktails at Blue Fin and chow at somewhere like Dos Caminos or Rosie Mexicano?

Jim,

PM me with the dates your in NY, maybe I can sneak out of work and tip a glass with you and your staff

Joined May 26, 2001
The show is Sunday, January 19 through Tuesday, January 21. You can still register at a discount (until 1/10) at this website. This is what used to be called the NY Restaurant Show.

Joined May 26, 2001
OMG, I still owe you recommendations! :blush:

Wait, wait, I've got it! Katz's Delicatessen, on East Houston Street!!! You won't get pastrami like THAT in Delaware, I'll bet! And that many people should be no problem. (They also serve what I've been told is excellent turkey sandwiches, their fries look really good, and they have beer :D )

As for meeting at the show: the Heineken booth is always a good location. What time, which day? I may be there Sunday and/or Monday. Jim, I'll bring your photo so I can identify you. ;)

Joined Oct 28, 1999
I'll be there on Monday. PM me w/a time, location... I won't need a picture... I'll just know ;)
Can you suggest any other Dean & Deluca-style places for us to take a look at? Any 'upscale' delis, counter service places?

Joined May 26, 2001
Well, when Shroom came last year, we took her to Chelsea Market, which has retail wine, meat, fish, fruit & vegetable, each in a separate store, an Italian food store :D , a few bakeries (including Amy's Bread -- wave at KyleW ;) ), an equipment store, and a "fancy-food" store.

If you head to the Upper West Side, within a few blocks of each other are Fairway, Citarella, and Zabar's. A little further up is a branch of Gourmet Garage. Citarella and GG are also on the Upper East Side, as is The Vinegar Factory.

All of these are D & D-like in that they have very interesting selections of produce, proteins, etc. On a "fanciness" scale, Vinegar Factory is right up there with D&D; Citarella is a bit below, and the others are much less fancy (and much less expensive).

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Suzanne, you read my mind regarding Chelsea Market. Also, when Shroom was here, we took her to Fairway in Harlem. It's bigger than the other one, and the meat cooler is impressive!!

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Best go food I found was at Garden of Eatin....
Fairway in Harlem is sooooo cool, I was expecting more low rent but they had a phenominal cheese selection, olive oils to die for, go-food ok...pizza was good. Walk in fridge for all refrig product...bizarre. Meat prices great.

used to be balducci, so sad. RIP

go-food....there are some great go-food hole in the walls near Home Restaurant....an exceptional mediterranian one across from Murrays cheese which is no slouch.

Most bang for your time is to head to Central Station and hit the food section....oh man, tons of shtuff all within a small confined indoor space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom