Large Crockpot

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by wpozzo, Oct 22, 2003.

1. wpozzo

wpozzo

Does anyone know where i can purchase a large crock pot rival makes an 8 quart but i was interest in something 16 -20 if available.

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is a bit off the topic but may I inquire as to the advantage of a crockpot when an 8 quart covered pan will do?

3. wpozzo

wpozzo

Sometimes i like the advantage of slow cooking the meat plus it is very nice to be able to start the crockpot and leave the house as they shut off automatically i do not like leaving the stove going.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hi, Koko! I can't quite see the advantage of such a large one (16 to 20 quarts?) as wpozzo is looking for, but I have to admit that now that I have a crockpot, I'm very happy with it. I don't have to watch it and stir the food to keep from sticking to the bottom as it would on top of the stove, and it supplies its own oven-type of surrounding heat, without heating up the kitchen as the oven would. And it's great for making a big batch of congee! :lips:

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So the crockpot IS, indeed, the item to get where very slow, all-day cooking is concerned. Where meat is concerned, seems to me that it is browned prior to "crocking", however.

6. wpozzo

wpozzo

Yes KOKO you can brown the meat first sometimes i do this with roasts however with chicken and such i more or less stew them in the crock and then thicken the juices later. the reason for a large crock is occasionally i bring food into a bar i work at on sundays it has become so popular some times i am using three crocks but it is hard to spice evenly that way if i could do one large batch at a time the product would be more consistant.:)

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For a 16 qt. crockpot perhaps contacting a restaurant supply house would be your best bet since most I've seen have an 8 qt. capacity.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Would a large Nesco-type roaster do? Doesn't it heat the same way, around the sides rather than from the bottom?

Would it be unsafe to put it on a timer such as you would use for turning on/off lamps?

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    a tabletop groen steam kettle is what you may be looking for. You can get this with center adgitators for eliminating sticking.
    Does this make any sence to what you are talking about?