large creme brulee?

Joined May 8, 2002
I need to make a large creme brulee, not in individual ramekins. I want to use a large 1 or 1 1/2 flat quart dish. Basic recipe, or a little kicked up.

Been searching the net for a recipe that doesn't specify individual ramekins and having no luck. Is there a difference if I just put the whole recipe in a large flat quart dish vs. small ramekins? Can I use the same recipe?

Thanks.

Joined May 26, 2001
I imagine the only difference would be the baking time. Since it's farther from the outside edge to the center, it might take longer to bake. Otherwise, should be the same temperature.

How are you bruleeing the sugar? Blowtorch (my preference) or salamander?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I have made larger brulees with my standard brulee recipe without changing the recipe at all, except for the cooking. Just make sure to cook slow and low and in a water bath so that the outsides don't souffle before the center is cooked.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Yes, LOW is the key with larger custards. If you overfill, you'll surely end up with a watery mess surrounded by scrambled eggs. Any brulee that can be made small can also be made larger, if you follow these rules.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Hee hee, I asked this same question coupla years ago :)

Kuan

Joined May 8, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. Plans were changed, only two of us.

I made a standard creme brulee with Chambord. Tasted great, raspberries and two chocolates along side.

But I will definitely keep the eggnog recipe, it looks great.

Joined Nov 16, 2015
Try measuring the volume of the smaller ramekin against the volume of the larger ramekin, multiply the recipe by that number, the cooking time should stay about the same. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Top Bottom