large creme brulee?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by vloglady, Nov 28, 2003.

1. vloglady

vloglady

I need to make a large creme brulee, not in individual ramekins. I want to use a large 1 or 1 1/2 flat quart dish. Basic recipe, or a little kicked up.

Been searching the net for a recipe that doesn't specify individual ramekins and having no luck. Is there a difference if I just put the whole recipe in a large flat quart dish vs. small ramekins? Can I use the same recipe?

Thanks.

2. kthull

kthull

I made the very delicious eggnog creme brulee from Bon Appetit last year and you can find it on epicurious.com http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=107529.

It makes one large brulee vs. individuals. Hopefully that will help you out with bake time and temp.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I imagine the only difference would be the baking time. Since it's farther from the outside edge to the center, it might take longer to bake. Otherwise, should be the same temperature.

How are you bruleeing the sugar? Blowtorch (my preference) or salamander?

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have made larger brulees with my standard brulee recipe without changing the recipe at all, except for the cooking. Just make sure to cook slow and low and in a water bath so that the outsides don't souffle before the center is cooked.

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yes, LOW is the key with larger custards. If you overfill, you'll surely end up with a watery mess surrounded by scrambled eggs. Any brulee that can be made small can also be made larger, if you follow these rules.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hee hee, I asked this same question coupla years ago :)

Kuan

7. vloglady

vloglady

Thanks for the suggestions. Plans were changed, only two of us.

I made a standard creme brulee with Chambord. Tasted great, raspberries and two chocolates along side.

But I will definitely keep the eggnog recipe, it looks great.

8. keith peters

keith peters

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Try measuring the volume of the smaller ramekin against the volume of the larger ramekin, multiply the recipe by that number, the cooking time should stay about the same. 😀