L'Amondanasis

Joined May 18, 2001
Here's a lucious dessert that's not for the faint of heart. The recipe is for the dessert that won 1st prize at the 1994 Yves Thuries competition. It take 2-1/2 hours of concentrated effort to prepare — which can all be done a couple of days in advance — but it is worth the time.

Joined May 26, 2001
Peter -- had a look at it from another site. It looks worth every second of work! Thanks so much for the link. :lips:

Joined Jan 1, 2001
This looks very good. I'd like to make it for Thanksgiving when I'm expecting a nice group of people---they are expecting a very nice dinner.
OK. There is a shopping list and a description of the layers and other elements. Would there be a complete recipe with instructions/directions as to the method of baking the cake and details of fabricating the consecutive layers somewhere? Did I just miss it?

Joined May 18, 2001
You must of missed them. The links are located in the first two instructions on the main page. They're in italic text. I hope this helps.

Joined May 18, 2001
Of course, those are my hands in the pictures. I've made all the recipes on my web site. All recipes are tested and rewritten to work in a home kitchen like mine. And, for the last two years or so, all have been photographed — some more so than others — there's at least one photo of each finished dish. (I also do all the artwork and program the site, too.)

Joined Mar 11, 2001
Tnx for the recipe. It's sounds so good!
I just want to make sure i got it right: u bake the base in a 22 ring and then u trim to fit a 18 ring - and all the other layers fit for the 18 ring. Am i right?:(
Tnx.

Joined Jun 11, 2001
WOW! That really does look fabulous and I've got just the right group to make it for this fall. I couldn't find anywhere on your site where the recipes were listed in non-metric quantities. I'm just a simple redneck from the south..... I can convert it but was curious if there's a version out there somewhere already.:)

Joined Mar 3, 2002
Georgaire, if you're baking, do yourself a favor and get a scale that reads pounds/grams and has a liquid/dry capability. It will make life SOOO much easier. I much prefer to do a recipe that gives weight measurements and when using weight I prefer metric - especially if you're scaling the recipe.

It's gotten so that I hate a recipe that calls for x cups of this or that. Yeah! And now I have to go hunting around in the book (IF it's from a book) to see WHAT method of filling the cup they use. There can be a substantial difference in the amount of flour, depending on how your source measured and how you measure. On a scale I can be sure that I have the exact amount of the ingredients that are critical to the result.

(I believe earlier threads have discussed scales.)

Joined Jun 11, 2001
Good idea. Now that I think of it, the scales I have may actually have another whole set or two of markings around the gauge - probably metric. Funny how I'm sometimes blind to things unless I'm really looking for them. I'll have to check this evening.....

Joined May 18, 2001
Yes, the pain de genes will shrink away from the 22-cm ring as it cools. You could bake the pain in the 18-cm ring and just let the first layer of mousse extend to the bottom of the dessert at the edges. If you do so, the recipe for the pain will need to be adjusted down by about a third so it doesn't end up too thick.

oli

Joined Aug 31, 2001
Bouland:
Great site, but I have had a problem clicking on some of the recipes. It takes me to your home page. Perhaps you could look into it, or maybe I would list the ones I am interested in, and you could post those recipes?
Also, since I am a guy, I really like recipes with photos. Sometimes just the photo is enough to make me want to make it. I try to stay away from bakeries that I know that have great looking cakes and pastries, because it makes me want to find out how to make them. I really enjoy recipes that have great eye appeal as well as taste. Just like a Ferrari, got to go up and look in side.:lips:

Joined May 18, 2001
A lot of effort is spent making sure that all the links on the site are up-to-date, but sometimes code get frazzled. Please let me know which specific links are not working for you as well as which browser, version, and platform you are using. If you'd like, please use the comments page to send the email since this is getting a bit off-topic for this forum. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom