Lambs liver fast or slow

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rogertb, Oct 17, 2017.

1. rogertb

rogertb

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I generally flash fry add stock and simmer for a few minutes but looking on-line the opinion seems to be 50 - 50 as many people use a slow cooker for 6 hours or long oven time in a casserole ... I guess there will never be a definitive answer, maybe I'll so a taste test !

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Remove the thin outer skin from the liver. Slice thin 1/4 inch season with salt and pepper then in a hot pan sear it on one side then the other take it out and your down. Whole process should not take more than 3 minutes. When you cook liver too long it becomes mealy and I fine it an unpleasant texture.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In general, I am not a big fan of liver, but as Nicko said, the quicker the better. If I don't like liver, in general, I really hate it when it is overcooked!

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's delicate so fast pan cooking is my preferred method for pretty much any liver.

I haven't had lambs liver in decades, but I used to get it in Greektown often. As I recall it would be 1/2" thick and crisp on the outside and just pink in the middle and utterly delicious.

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    fry some bacon, fry and caramelize some onions in the bacon grease. Slice the liver thin dredge in some seasoned flour and fry in the bacon grease. Get some good Jewish rye and pile on the liver, bacon and onions. I like mine with some ketchup. You will never know your eating liver.....Enjoy!!!

6. rogertb

rogertb

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks one and all ... I concur. Well I tried cooking some of the liver, drenched in seasoned flour fried briefly and put into a slow cooker for a few hours, flash fried a couple of other slices and without doubt the texture of the slow cooked version was grainy and dry ... I'm surprised that so many people on the net said that they liked to slow cooker route !

7. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's probably because, when they were growing up, their parents, or grandparents, used to cook the crap out of it, even if frying it.

8. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    No one mentioned fava beans and chianti? Probably too old a reference now.
    Anyway, I concur with the onions and bacon. quick saute in pan and pink in the middle. Once in a awhile though. A bit too strong for a frequent supper.

9. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Someone had to go there!!!!:rolleyes: