Lamb's Belly

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by sousyou, Jun 28, 2004.

1. sousyou

sousyou

Got a great deal on 3 whole lambs for resturaunt use, reserved the sweetbreads and offal for sometime in the future, roasted the legs, braised the shoulder, grilled the chops, frenched the rack...

What can I do with the belly??? there's a fair bit, I don't think it would fare as well as traditional braised pork belly...

does anyone have any traditional African or Mediteranean recipes or techniques???

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm trying to picture lamb belly, is it a fatty meat? Marbled? I would think to cut them into chunks and use them in stews or flavorings in soups and stocks after a little smoking, then shredding the meat for a salad. Hard for me to picture since I've never used the belly before, mostly chops and shanks.

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Interesting question. Every whole lamb I've seen (our neighbors roasted a whole lamb every Easter and sometimes in summer, too) had the belly removed. The breast was intact, though.

A Google search netted this and saw references to Asian recipes with stewed lamb's belly.

Good luck!

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I buy whole lambs....have the bellies ground with the heart/liver into Margez
    or lamb brats.

5. sousyou

sousyou

I wonder about a salt, demerrara, rosemary and garlic cure for a while, a quick smoke, then sliced thin and sauteed for a lamb 'bacon'. It sounds good on paper at least. We'll see... If I find it just doesn't work, I'll have to go with sausage.
    Thanks.

6. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    might be off the money, but the closest to this i can think of is recipes for lamb epigrams.

but then again, i may be wrong.