Lamb...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rgm2, May 29, 2011.

1. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I have moved to Seattle about a year ago. I have not found any great butchers yet. I have a place called Bill The Butcher close to home. I bought some ground lamb the other day to make gyro meat with.... it was awfully gamy in flavor and smell. I haver read that the smell in mostly in the fat, and it seemed to have a very high fat ratio.

He also gave me some lamb bones... would you make a brown stock with them or just get rid of them? I do not really eat lamb, so not sure I would use the stock ever.

2. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Why not make a stock, freeze it, and wait 'til inspiration strikes?

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I butcher a lamb each fall that I get at the 4-H fair auction. I use every part of the animal and use the bones to make stock.

The younger the animal the less "gamey" the flavor. I try to stay in the 130 Lb. range as I have found that anything larger has that full flavor.

As for the stock.....After straining it I will reduce it with a bottle of red wine and strain again. I will pour mixture into muffin cups to freeze. After that I pop them out and place them in small sandwich bags, twist tie them and keep them in the freezer for later use.