Lamb kidneys!!!???

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Nov 19, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I just got a few #s of lamb kidneys from the lamb farmer....other than grilling them how do you fix um....English guys I expect you use them a whole lot more than us.

2. jonesy

jonesy

WHY NOT ROAST THEM WITH GARLIC AND BABY TOMS , COVER IN FOIL TO SWEAT THEM..UMM?

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    What about a kidney pie...

Rachel!!!! Where are you????

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The french version of an english classic.
    Remove the skin from the kidneys and slit the bulging side.
    open without seperating the two sides ,Put them on a skewer to keep them open.Season with S&P and brush with melted butter,dip in bread crumbs and grill. serve with lardons of bacon,boiled potatoes and watercress. Top with maitre d'hotel butter

Yummy huh:D
    cc

5. thebighat

thebighat

I'm not thumbing through it to find it, but there's some great lines in Ulysses where Leopold Bloom is preparing kidneys for his breakfast, enjoying "the faint tang of urine rising from the pan." I think kidneys might bum me out..couldn't stop thinking about glomerulonephritis and sodium pumps. Whaddya do with them anyway, boil the p*** out of them?

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lol:

TBH, this was GREAT!

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks alot!!!! don't let me rain on your Foie Gras.
    Kidneys actually taste wonderful, the texture is amazing.
    I grilled the last set, may do a steak and kidney pie...I've got rendered lard from the last pig kill so there's an incredible flakey crust ....what else would you throw in, never had nor made one...pearl onions, what cut of steak? shrooms would be good, thyme, pepper, gravy.....a hearty potpie....I have Japanese turnips in my fridge, carrots, parsnips, rutabeggas....hmmmm

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thank you Quenelle....um which is the best end lamb neck?

9. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    When I was a kid, lamb (or veal) kidneys were a Sunday after church treat. My mother would prepare them as CapeChef suggests but actually halve them. A little butter and into the pan. After they brown up, a little white wine and reduce the sauceuntil it's just started to thicken. Serve them on buttered english muffins. Sorry TBH, I'm still cravin' 'em :)