Lamb curry, help!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by botanique, Apr 3, 2005.

1. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    My husband was home for the weekend and is leaving tonight (merchant seaman). I made rubbed lamb last night, and tonight he wants curry. Simple, right? I know the concept, have tasted many a curry, but believe it or not have never had to make one! He likes them soupy, spicy, and yellow. SO, I'm thinking, I can handle this no problem. Curry powder, tumeric etc.... But now a twist, he wants me to do it on the boat in the small galley while we take it out and anchor for a bit. HELP! I need a very simple leftover lamb curry recipe!!! (excuse the spelling -- I'm in a hurry! ;-)

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    2 medium onions, diced finely and caramelize in about 2oz vegetable oil.

Add:

1T curry powder
    1T ground ginger
    1T granulated garlic
    1T Turmeric
    some ground chilli powder

Stir around for a minute or so.

Add diced lamb, add 1-2 cups water depending on how much lamb you have. Cover and simmer a few minutes until lamb is tender. Add salt to taste.

Stir in about 1/2-1 cup yogurt at the end. Finish with chopped cilantro.

It doesn't get easier. You have to make sure you caramelize the onions properly until it doesn't even look like you had 2 onions in there in the first place.

3. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks! Perfect! I'm on it! :)

4. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Ok, this is way late to the question, but I just got to say! COOKING on a ships galley while anchored--how cool is that :cool:!!??

Currys are otherwise simple. Meat simmered to hot in sauce. Thats the easy deffinition. Flavours can be played with so easily. In the future, there are things you can do that would make this kind of cook out easyer. One is to have a jar of pre-mix on hand (no, I don't mean comercial mix) ready to go. Also, carmelised onions are a main ingredient to a lot of dishes. Take a saturday and in batched fry a 20 pound bage of sliced or diced onions till nice and carmelized, and freeze them up in 8 or 12 oz containers. Good for six months. Then, you will be good to go the next time :D

Oh, and the types of spice mixes I will make up in batches to have on hand are things like Italian Sausage mix., Cajun mix, Breakfast sausage mix, etc. That way, I can decide a spur of the moment dinner from time to time. :)

5. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Husband just left until next weekend :( -- I'm left with the dogs and local deputies to cook for LOL. Curry turned out great! I of course changed quantities and spring boarded, but I'm a cook -- I can't follow directions ;-) i.e. deglazed and added a load of cayenne.... The most important thing is he LOVED it. A storm ended up coming in so I cooked at the house, but after 4 years I have learned that my husband loves curry! SO, next weekend, I am planning to prepare early (thanks KOTG :) ) and have us anchor out while I prepare a magnificent seafood curry -- I have all week to practice! Anyone in the area want to be a taste tester? ;-) Time to clean the kitchen and have a glass of wine!