Ladies and Gentlemen, draw near and listen, the October challenge is Game meat.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lagom, Oct 1, 2018.

1. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I seriously considered shellfish for this months challenge but saw a couple moose in the neighbors yard this afternoon eating apples and all I could think about was how tasty the magnificent beast taste so Game Meat it is. First the standard copy and paste rules,

The usual rules apply:
    - The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
    - You may post multiple entries.
    - All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
    - If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
    - Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
    - The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
    - Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

With that outta the way let me clarify a bit, basically any meat that isn’t Beef, pork(wild boar is definitely in) lamd/mutton (but for you bighorn hunters it works) chicken, turkey (wild turkey is great). Anything wild from the 7 continents, moose and wild boar from Sweden, kangaroo from down under, rabbit, pheasant, quail, deer, reindeer/caribou, bear, ostrich, zebra, buffalo, guinea pig, crocodile/alligator. You get the idea. It can run, climb, burrow, swim, fly or slither (rattler anyone) and anything else considered game meat from your neck of the woods. Local flavors are desirable as I’d like to steal all the creative ideas I can from you.. I’ll post some moose I’m going to be doing on Sunday and I’ve got my eye pealed for a nice fat goose sometime this month. Sharpen your knives and smaklig måltid!!!

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Does wild caught fresh water fish and seafood count? :)

3. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey sgsvirgil, alas not fish, shellfish and the such from the sea or fresh water. By swim I was looking at crocs/turtles/snake and the such but setting aside the bounty that breathes water. We’ll skip the cetaceans also.

However to clarify a bit you don’t need to hunt it down yourself. Bonus if ya do but most of us will have to purchase our game meat.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I seem to remember a butcher shop somewhere in the Salt Lake valley that carried exotic game meats, may have to poke around, see if I can find it. I don'r remember seeing kangaroo tenderloins or elk rump roasts at the local Kroger affiliate.

mjb.

lagom likes this.
  5. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hmm. I see a few rabbits in my future. Venison is possible, I guess....

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Snider Brothers, Meiers, Main Street Quality Meats.

If duck counts, it's more widely available.

7. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love moose stew. I'll have to hit up my hunter pals for moose or deer.

lagom likes this.
  8. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Duck certainly counts.

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Good one, @lagom .
    Going to take some thinking though, as unlike most people might think, game meat is not easy to get here.
    Almost all animals here are protected....

lagom likes this.
  10. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not that I thought that you dined on lion and zebra 3 meals a day ;). What are the common commercial meats available there?

Edit: fat fingers and bad spelling.

11. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A good choice @lagom. Pheasant is bang in season right now in the UK... I can also get pigeon with luck.

lagom likes this.
  12. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Most common meat is just the standard chicken and beef. Pork to a lesser extent.
    Goat is fairly popular as well, bit lots of goats are sold to neighbouring countries, so the price has gone up quite a bit.
    With some luck I should be able to get impala.
    I like bushpig and warthog, but difficult to get.
    Kudu, eland and buffalo are great.
    Unfortunately for most of those, you need to know some hunters or people with private game ranches, which I did, but they all left the country :(

lagom likes this.
  13. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Took many pheasant in Pennsylvania this time of year when I still lived in the USA. Still miss the hunting back home.

morning glory likes this.
  14. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Seems like chicken is universal. I do like roasted goat. Best I had recently was in the cannery islands a couple years ago in the middle of nowhere on fuerteventura, the goat they served way from the wild herds, much better than the farm raised stuff I get here occasionally in Sweden from the arab markets. Had some awesome goat in jamaica many years ago, just a distant memory of the past. I do import some baby goat from Spain every year for Eid, it’s really expensive but my customers are willing to go the costs for the occasion.

Looking forward to your entries.

15. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Does goat count?
    They walk and run on the side and middle of the road, so they are wild ;)

lagom likes this.
  16. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Goats run wild all over fuerteventura and the wild ones tasted much more flavorful than the domestic ones (ate both) so if it’s wild goat then I’d vote yes.

Also to anyone in Hawaii, if you want to run down some feral chickens for an entry then by gum do so.

17. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cosco?:)

18. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Good call @lagom - now I really have to reason to run down the freezer before deer season. I'm long on goose breast and venison at the moment . . . sausage time!!

lagom likes this.
  19. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Does road kill count? I go out a dusk and mark all the road kill with marking paint. Then a dawn I go out and gather anything not painted. I can probably get some wild boar or rabbits. Good challenge.

lagom likes this.
  20. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As long as it doesn’t involve the neighbors pets or farm animals I don’t see why not. When a moose or boar get hit here they will track it, if need be, shoot it and butcher the meat for food. Actually here there are a number of animals that if you are involved in an accident with you must report it to the police and they will assign hunters with dogs to come put the injured animal down.