Lacking Lunches

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ramlatus, Apr 16, 2006.

1. ramlatus

ramlatus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Greetings all

I’m looking for lunch ideas; I have one electric burner at work, and want dishes I can cook in 15 – 20 minutes, in one skillet or sauce pan. All the restaurants around work are really bad. Fast food mostly, and people don’t believe me when I tell them how bad fast food is as far as taste and all. I guess you have to be a foody to know or understand.

2. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What kind of setting is this? Sorry it sounds silly, just wondering. And are you looking for say, something you can make a hot wrap/sandwich out of, or a one skillet meal?

3. ramlatus

ramlatus

Exp:
    At home cook
    My apologies

I work in an auto parts store. My burner is in a closet sized room called the break room, but is actually more storage than anything. The only sink I have access to is in the bath room, and the hot water doesn’t work.

I’m looking for quick and simple lunches that have flavor. I’ve been cooking little steaks, fajitas, and grilled cheeses. Since I have but one burner it is easiest to cook with only one cooking vessel (Pan, Pot, etc…).

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Do you have any preferences or foods you avoid? Do you have refrigeration on site? We need a bit more information to help you.

I see our posts crossed in cyberspace. Your problem sounds a lot like the cooking I did in my dorm room in the '70s! Here's a site with information about dorm room cooking: http://www.getouttoday.com/collegeli...g/dormcook.htm And here are some of my own ideas:

Try adding ham to your grilled cheese
    Season some ground beef, brown in the pan, wrap in a tortilla or lettuce wrap with cheese, etc. (you could mix up your seasonings at home and bring them in a plastic bag or small container)
    Make ramen noodles (any flavor you like); stir in one raw egg; some cooked ham, pork, beef, chicken or shrimp; a little sesame oil, soy sauce and hot sauce and let it simmer for a minute or two
    Make soup at home and freeze it in those tossable plastic containers. Reheat in a pot on your hotplate

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can do things like cook at home and reheat at work. For example, pasta sauces work well. Cook your spaghetti all the way at home, put it in a ziploc bag. Bring your pasta sauce in a different container. Heat the pasta sauce in a pan and add the spaghetti to the hot sauce and warm it up that way.

6. diane

diane

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Have you considered taking a whole avocado , with lemon and a slice or two of well buttered grain bread. Perhaps if you have a thermos you could enjoy a good thick soup. Perhaps even a stew. Sandwiches are only as boring as you make them, and it could be, if your pan is shallow enough, you could toast them ( appropriate fillings of course). A salad of sliced bell peppers, lightly spiced beetroot and uncooked red onion rings with either wedges of tomato or 'lishy little cherry jobs might lift the spirit, I like that with grain bread or sour dough. Naan is good too. Would a ploughmans lunch interest you? Bread, (solid) cheese, pickles, red cabbage, cold beef slices or corned beef slices. And stuff to appeal to you. Maybe gently scrambled eggs, with pre grated sharp cheese, embellished with chopped parsley and chives might cheer your afternoon. A bit of green from spring onions is nice too. A moresome slice of bacon and egg pie goes very well with us, or a quiche just to size is winsome too. All prepared at home of course, why cook when you can put your feet up, eat and read. Maybe snooze. ('cept the toasties an' scrambed and such like). Just thoughts, to many to write down.