Labeling for freezing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ronscooking, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ronscooking

ronscooking

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi-

I need help & advice with labeling for freezing.

I'm either not using the correct tape (if I should be using tape at all) nor the correct writing implement.

I've been using blue painters tape & a black medium point sharpie...you can start (or stop) snickering now....what should I be using?

Thanx!

Ron

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Ron, that blue painters tape is definately the wrong stuff. It's designed to peel off easily, leaving no residue. Any moisture (even the high humidity of a freezer) will cause it to release. Plus it doesn't hold ink very well.

What to use depends on how you're wrapping. Ziplocks, for example, take a Sharpie just fine. This is true, too, with foil; except it's often illegible. So on that use labels. Masking tape will do, in a pinch. I just Avery address labels as my go-to, and they work just fine. Again, a Sharpie is more than adequate. These labels work great when freezing in canning jars, too. Caution: Some Avery labels are quick release. Those are just as bad as the blue tape.

If, for some reason, you're dissatisfied with the way a Sharpie works, get yourself one of those pens designed for marking plant labels. They use a darker, more permanent ink than the Sharpies.

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    they also make writable freezer tape for just that purpose...

joey