Chef Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
KK

I had a foodgasm when i saw those sardines from the food festival picture. 

I started salivating...

I think i looked more at the food then anything else lol.... 

Thank you for this beautiful culinary travelogue, Koukou'!

Takes me back to our two, three-week vacation tours in Greece, including a week on Crete. They were conducted by a college professor of Greek extraction who spoke it like a native, and had been doing these groups for years. He had a roster of places to visit, lodge, and eat - many wonderful small mom-and-pop tavernas where we ate inexpensively but very well: no steam tables. We acquired a love of Greek food and ever since that first trip, we have bought our olive oil - usually Kalamata - by the gallon.

One of the funniest aspects, repeated over and over, happened when our group entered any museum or tourist attraction. Our professor would just start showing and explaining the place when a resident guide would rush up and tell him to stop - only government-licensed guides were allowed to show the place (and earn the customary fee.) The prof would then unsnap a leather pouch on his belt and slowly unfold a huge piece of parchment, larger and more impressive than my college diploma, which was his official guide's license. We saw a lot of disappointed guides on both trips.

We were told back then that during the summer season, there were more tourists than Greeks in Greece. Is this still true? This was, of course, before the colonels or the fiscal problems. Also that the word Greek does not exist in the Greek language - where English uses "Greek" it is "Hellene." to the natives; not Greece but Hellas.

Love it, whatever ya call it.

Mike

I agree about the sardines!

Sometimes my dad would bring some home for he and I to share.

He would start a fire under a small grill he save for his "delicacies" lol.

We would eat them along with oysters (halfshell and warmed on grill)nand his homemade toasted sourdough bread (sliced very thin).

What a feast!

If I can ever get over my fear of flying over water Greece will be high on my list of places to savor.

Thanks for sharing!

mimi

Speaking of little fish, here are some smelts washed and ready to be dredged and fried. They're eaten whole, head to tail. Popcorn fish hehe.
This excites me koukou!

When we are wading thru the water and come across those the trout are not far behind.!

Will be tossing a few quarts in the cooler next time we fish the bay!

Just SP and olive oil?

mimi

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.