KOEKSISTERS

Joined Feb 28, 2013
Hi Everyone - I hope you are all safe and healthy during this pandemic. I have a question about a pastry called a koeksister. I searched, and the name doesn't come up, so I will tell you a bit about them. They are a traditional South African, deep fried pastry, which is dipped into an ice cold sugar, cinnamon, lemon syrup. My question is: the syrup contains creme of tartar, and I am just curious to know why, and what does it do to the syrup. Thanks.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
If you search around on the web, you should be able to find other recipes for the syrup that use corn syrup for the same purpose, which is a little easier and cheaper.

Joined Feb 28, 2013
If you search around on the web, you should be able to find other recipes for the syrup that use corn syrup for the same purpose, which is a little easier and cheaper.
Thanks. I live in France and we battle to get golden syrup, corn syrup and cream of tartar! I have a bit of cream of tartar a friend brought over from the UK. Thanks for your reply.

Joined Feb 28, 2013
I am going to try them tomorrow with a recipe I found that does not have any! :) I am interested to see the different methods too. I've just read a blog about the best koeksisters in SA apparently, and she says you don't have to get the syrup ice cold. I hope my friends will all like them, as there are going to be a few batches made. Hahaa. I know that I love them, but there are only so many you can eat.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
she says you don't have to get the syrup ice cold
People have been known to do them with ice cold syrup all the way to boiling syrup. I lived with a South African that used syrup (made from only sugar, water, cardamom, and cinnamon ) that was at a low to medium heat.

Joined Feb 28, 2013
People have been known to do them with ice cold syrup all the way to boiling syrup. I lived with a South African that used syrup (made from only sugar, water, cardamom, and cinnamon ) that was at a low to medium heat.
Hi to your South African friend. I grew up in Durban, but we never made koeksisters at home - just ate them - haha. Which is probably why I'm trying to make them now that I don't live in SA anymore! :) I love the sound of the syrup with cardamom and cinnamon.

Top Bottom