Knives for Wedding Registry

Joined Feb 1, 2017
I'm listing knives on my wedding registry and I’m looking for some opinions on my selections.

Right now, I have an old set of Chicago Cutlery from Wal-Mart, so I'm sure any of these are an improvement.  Profile-wise I'm just a home chef, but more enthusiastic about it than most.

Ideally, any knives I choose could be found at Sur la Table/Crate&Barrel/Amazon.  

These are the knives I currently have in mind:
  • 8-inch Chef's - Bob Kramer Meiji ($250)
  • 4-inch Paring - Bob Kramer Meiji ($150)
  • 6-inch Boning Knife - Victorinox Fibrox Pro w/ Flexible Blade ($31)
  • Bread Knife - Mac SB-105 ($75)
  • Slicing Knife - Victorinox 12-in Granton Fibrox ($61)
Now I'm sure some people on here are going to shake their head at the Bob Kramers.  I spent quite a bit of time in Sur la Table and Williams Sonoma getting a feel for different Chefs knives, and the Meiji felt very comfortable to me.  It was light like the Japanese style blades, but at the same time had a more substantial feeling to it that I like.  I tried the more expensive $399 Bob Kramer and didn’t like it at all…so I don’t think I’m being blinded by Bob’s story and the shiny Damascus.  I know people like to knock on the mass-produced Kramers, but is there any reason I should think of this as a particularly bad value/inferior choice? 

The Bob Kramer paring knife was more of a defacto choice...and I'm sure you all can suggest much better paring knives.  I think I like the longer 4-inch compared to standard 3.5inch.

Concerning the rest , I intend to use the Victorinox Boning Knife mostly as a fillet knife.  It had rave reviews and seems like a good value.  Same with the Victorinox Granton.  I like to smoke packer briskets among other large pieces of meat, and this appeared to be a good choice...though I wondered if upping to a 14inch Granton would be a good idea.  The Mac SB-105 had many accolades within this forum and sounds like a high-quality bread knife that can be more easily sharpened than most.

Finally, I want to invest in a sharpening kit for my new knives.  I have heard that the Edge Pro Apex is a good choice...but are there any other/better options out there that wouldn't cost $250?

Thanks in advance for any input.

John

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Nothing wrong with the Zwilling kramers at all!  Personally I think they have a lot of belly so I would go with the 10"' for a bigger usable flat spot.

I recommend freehand over a jig like edge pro.  The reason is you need to change the angles a lot when sharpening properly and it is cumbersome and time consuming to do with a jig.  For stones you can put these on your registry from Amazon.  I recommend 1000 and 5000,  and mayb ea coarse 320 if you need it

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=shapton+kuromaku

To complete your set add in a heavy meat cleaver and that should handle all tasks you can come across in the kitchen

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
10in > 8in chef's, especially with a rounder profile

$150 for a paring knife is steep. Do you use such a knife very frequently? I'm just using something fairly thin and cheap ($10) for off the board tasks. Can also consider getting a 4-6 inch petty knife to better do on the board tasks in a pinch.

Other choices look good. What are you using as a slicer right now? What length? Could also consider getting a sujihiki, Yoshihiro has some on Amazon.

You can get started freehanding with stones for $40-150 + flattening solution. Jig's going to be a pain for thinning well, wanting to deliberately convex, and also when you have different angles per side (either out of necessity or personal preference) 

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
I have the  Victorinox 12-in Granton Fibrox and it is 100% not worth $61 compared to what else is out there.  It is pretty wide causing some drag when cutting and it is also very flexible.  

Joined Feb 1, 2017
$150 for a paring knife is steep. Do you use such a knife very frequently? I'm just using something fairly thin and cheap ($10) for off the board tasks. Can also consider getting a 4-6 inch petty knife to better do on the board tasks in a pinch.

Other choices look good. What are you using as a slicer right now? What length? Could also consider getting a sujihiki, Yoshihiro has some on Amazon.

You can get started freehanding with stones for $40-150 + flattening solution. Jig's going to be a pain for thinning well, wanting to deliberately convex, and also when you have different angles per side (either out of necessity or personal preference) 
I use a paring knife frequently - but I like your idea.

Today I use an 8inch bread knife as a slicer, but it's way too short. I've heard that some prefer serrated, but I think I would prefer a smoothly sliced cut.

I had 12 inches in mind, but do you think a 9.5-10inch sujihiki is long enough?  I want to be able to produce an excellent slice from a packer brisket.

Joined Feb 1, 2017

I have the  Victorinox 12-in Granton Fibrox and it is 100% not worth $61 compared to what else is out there.  It is pretty wide causing some drag when cutting and it is also very flexible.  
Looks like you are a BBQ guy - what's your favorite slicer?

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Was thinking at least 270-300mm sujihiki for your purposes, but I don't deal with large cuts of meat enough to know if even longer is merited. I wasn't seeing 300mm options for Yoshihiro unfortunately, but there are the vendor restrictions...

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I have done the competition and catering thing a bit. My team has placed in memphis the last 4 years. The issue with brisket, butt, and ribs is the bark is hard to cut through.

This is good for bread and crusty meats. You dont need 2 serrated knives.

Longer but not as good steel

For not so crusty things and big raw meat I have the kochi 270mm sujihiki (285mm really) from japanese knife imports I think it is $285

Outside of your registry, i highly recomend this boning knife. In fact I own a backup. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-170mm-wa-butcher/

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
Note that the Kochi and the wa-butcher knives are not stainless. If you had fewer vendor limitations the options open up greatly. I would have also possibly suggested the Gesshin Ginga 300mm sujihiki

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
Does not matter what others think about your knife choice. The knife that fits most comfortably in your hand, the knife that you feel confident handling is the right knife for you. I took a knife class with Kramer a few years ago, and that's what he told me when I asked him for a knife recommendation. He advised me to do what you did--spend time trying different knives. Doesn't matter what brand the store is pushing; what matters is how the knife feels to you. He explained that his wife keeps her own favorite knife, that she will not use his favorite knife because what works for him, does not work for her.

I own a Kramer carbon...turned out to be my LEAST favorite knife. I never use it.

Top Bottom