Knives don't stay straight on magnetic block

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by TheSon, Apr 10, 2019.

1. TheSon

TheSon

Exp:
    Home
    I didn't see a better place to post...

I have a Zwilling wooden magnetic knife block, 32612-103. I got it for aesthetics, but knives don't hang vertical. I understand magnetic polarity, but why make a magnetic block that makes knives pivot away from vertical? Some only pivot 30-45 degrees, and some pivot hard to a physical stop (the handle or another knife).

Solutions?

Get over aesthetics and use a bare/open magnet?

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Bad design. Is it one long bar magnet? My magnetic block has rare earth magnets arranged in vertical pairs and it works great.

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Good question. ^^^ :)

Even with the handles down?

4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Let's say it's a long strip of magnetized rubber. I have never experienced anything about magnets that would suggest so behavior. I can see the knives swinging a little to where the handle balances, but I'd say 15deg would be the max possible here, and that from a tall chefs knife. Anyhow getting a decent rack would take care of the problem, as well as a thin and soft self-stick rubber strip (maybe if it didn't weaken the field too much), as well as spraying with a rubbery contact adhesive, if you had a can and could tolerate that mess. Don't go out and through money at this one.

5. TheSon

TheSon

Exp:
    Home
    Yes, handles down.
    It's wood, with a double-T-profile magnetic rubber strip in it. So, 2 grooves in the back of the wood that the magnet is glued into.

Like this, with the top facing the wall, and the legs of the Ts glued into grooves in the wood: TT

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    im thinking it's the center of gravity in the knives pivoting around the magnet point.

Basically a weak magnet system but also handle heavy knives.

millionsknives likes this.
  7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    More than likely it'a series of magnets so unless you're over one, or in between two they are going to pull. Many are not continuous strips like tool holders. I see it's also made of wood - if the magnets aren't close enough to the face that can be an issue too.

8. TheSon

TheSon

Exp:
    Home
    Well, if I lower them so the weight of the handles keep them vertical, they slowly slide down. Weak magnet.