Knife Rolls and Knife Cases

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by riderc90, Jun 21, 2014.

1. riderc90

riderc90

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    My arsenal of knives if growing and I need some type of portable storage. I looked at a ton of rolls and cases. The more compact the better. But I need something that can for and protect the edges of about 6-8 knives including a Chinese cleaver.

Recommendations??

mcterryur likes this.
  2. papajo

papajo

Exp:
    Butcher
    Sanelli makes a knife roll I find comfortably fits all my knives, Chinese cleaver included. I would suggest, however, to make or buy a sleeve. There's not much you can do to stop sharp corners from cutting up any knife roll. Luckily Sanelli's is double layered, so even if a knife does pierce the canvas your knives remain unexposed.

3. riderc90

riderc90

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Excellent. I will explore this option as soon as I can

4. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dude My Jende Knife roll is Amazing

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    crabapple and mcterryur like this.
  5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Leather, huh?

How do you clean/sanitize the roll when crud (ie. coffee, salad dressing, breadcrumbs, soup, etc) gets spilled on it?  How do you get crumbs and crud out of the deep pockets? How do you "deodourize" it when it starts to get skanky?

Leather rolls may be great for chisels and carving tools, not a good idea for kitchens where there is perishable foods around and a real need to keep knives sanitized. 

6. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good point but as for me and most every other chef I know we work clean that was one thing we learned in culinary school. I for one would not be putting a knife with bread crumbs or salad dressing or soup etc etc on it and back into my bag. I tend to wipe my knife after every use. As for a knife bag it is used to transport your knives in not be used as a plating table, so I don't ever have a problem maintaining it.

This is the 5th bag I have owned all of them leather only 1 I had that was not was in school and it was ballistic nylon. It was junk. I have not once had one leather bag that got a bad smell either. I guess it comes down to if you are not a clean chef then maybe it is not for you, but if you are and you like great quality and works of art like I do, and in my knives as well, like my custom Halsingers then a bag that shows off 1500 dollar knives is well worth it to me. Only my opinion.

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well yeah, fair answer, everybody should work clean.  Thing is, where do you put your knife roll when you come into work?  Either on or under your workstation, right? 

Kitchens are full of food, sh*t happens, and stuff gets spilled.  This has nothing to do with how clean you work or how organized you are.  It's pretty much guaranteed that stuff will get into your knife roll no matter how clean you keep, or how clean your knives are when you put them in.

The questions I asked you in the above post were pretty much the same questions "ye olde health inspector" asked me about 20 years ago when I had a similar roll, only mine was zippered and had a pebbled finish on the full grain leather.  When I didn't have a suitable answer to his questions on sanitizing the roll, he told me to just take it home, and not to let him see  on his next visit.  Of course, I though he was full of crap, and used the roll, stuff got spilled on it, and in it, no matter how clean I kept it, and it got pretty skanky.  By shear luck I got rid of it before the health inspector made his next visit.

8. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fair answer. I have never had any spills and or loose items get into my bag. I agree he was full of crap as when I have my knives in my bag I use Mag edge guards and my knives are clean so I don't see a problem with keeping it clean. 

I do see your point but again a rinse before service after taking out of a bag does that trick as well. I think it all comes down to personal preference, I feel the leather is amazing and works far better than the nylon.

Also just to answer that I tend to put my bag up as high as I can as to avoid spills and things falling in or god forbid some thing climbing in ;) So in all I think it is what we prefer and how we are as chefs if you have a  habit of leaving things low then yeah it might get ruined. If you are like me and put it up high and only use it when getting a tool out then it seems to work fine. 

I am glad we have both points of view on this it is nice to see it from another perspective. 

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Go to home depot buy yourself a good big plastic toolbox that you can lock. That's what many of the Pro's use. If it gets dirty  run through dishwasher.

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The knives and the rolls that the culinary schools make the kids buy are a farce.

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ah...I see.... You want to store sharp, heavy, pointy-ended objects as high above your head and body as possible and yet still be readily accessible.

Roger that. Over and out...

spoiledbroth and couteau like this.
  12. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was thinking you are not so bad and seem to have some incite but t appears either your just a jerk or you have no common sense. Yes I keep my bag open with points out and no guards, right directly above my head. Matter of fact I use my mutant powers to levitate it over my head as I work.

Now maybe reality of the inside of a kitchen? When I use my bag I take what I will need for a shift, some of us know we will not be using all 14 knives at once. I take my chef my slicer and a utility, the rest and kept safe and sound in a roll secured and up on a shelf out of the way. Now just to make it toddler clear the case is secured locked and the knives have mag knife guards on them (new invention since the last time you worked in a kitchen I would guess) and it is set atop a shelf not to be in mine or any ones way. No I do not use my knife roll to plate food on. No I do not take my knife guards off and leave my bag open and balancing on objects above mine or any ones heads. Hope that clears it up for you if need be I can make a photo tutorial  to make it very clear if that still don't work (at this point would not surprise me) we can make you a video so you can see all the pretty moving shapes and  hear the voices tell you what to do.

Roger that over and out.

crabapple likes this.
  13. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Welcome to Cheftalk.

If you're ever in Vancouver, you can come and visit me in my kitchen.  Bring your knives.

spoiledbroth and grande like this.
  14. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Will do I have a business downtown on Pender near Harbor Center I would love too. I am on a consulting job right now in Taiwan so as soon as I am back I would really love to. Thank you for the invite.

15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'm on Hastings @ Nanaimo, on holidays this week, we'll open up the 15th, Tue to Sat, 9-5.

16. chris bruce

chris bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cool Nice to meet you i'm Chris. Enjoy your break I do look forward to meeting you. I think it would be fun, knocking heads and all it is still nice to meet others with passion for what they do. Take care and enjoy your vacation.

17. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm reviving this old thread to point out these attache cases are very well made and going for about 80 dollars plus shipping on ebay right now... A friend at work has one and they are spectacular. There are pictures on the ebay listing if you scroll down. Good alternative to rolls and brand name attaches which seem to retail for a few hundred dollars +

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231133596166

18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's pretty cool! Dunno if it's long enough for my 300mm yanagiba with the saya.  How do shorter knives stay put?

19. rsi rich

rsi rich

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That looks like a great deal,  Is the attache specifically for knives only?  I know most people usually have other tools in the rolls also.  How difficult is it commuting with this case?  

20. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I believe they are 19 inches in length, the coworker has a 12" sab tranchelard so i suspect thats roughly 17" overall. He is able to store alot of knives in their saya, along with his idahone. Hand tools can fit underneath the handles of your knives. Not alot of space there and i believe he kind of fits a paring knife and petty under the handle too but.. we'll see when mine gets here. I believe they lock aswell!