Knife handle

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by jdoggett, Dec 4, 2016.

1. jdoggett

jdoggett

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Does anyone know where I can go to get a custom handle made? I'm not taking color or style, but length. When I hold the knife I have my index finger on the top of the blade because I have better control from there. However, after a  short while, a blister starts to form. I was thinking that if I could get a handle that extended about 1/2 an inch along just the top of the blade it was help with this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Have you first tried taking a file or coarse sandpaper to relieve corners of your knife's spine along where your index finger curls around?

millionsknives likes this.
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yeah a handle over where you pinch grip would get in the way. The right way is to round the spine and choil. Knives with great fit and finish already do this

4. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    where are you located?  doing something like this long distance could be a pain.  two issues 1) removing the old handle without damaging the blade  2)what type of tang and how is handle mounted.  send me a PM and i will steer you in the right direction.

scott

5. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Hopefully this shows up alright - Try easing the corners off just the first 1-2 inches of the spine from the bolster. See the contrast from further down the knife where the spine is still very sharp?

6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook

7. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @Scott Livesey  I'm not the thread starter but this is why I've got a set of files and also some sandpaper :)

Not every knife I've gotten has had an eased spine and choil. Some of my previous buys this year have, but I'm playing with this one right now - seeing how I feel about a deliberately left side convex, right side flat ground knife (I'm a lefty). And the fit and finish wasn't quite there this time.

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Gunner on top of the blade spine is poor technique. It's not the tool so much as how you're using it

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well index finger on top does work when your going for accurate slicing tasks, but a pinch is indicated for most operations.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Round the spine anyway or you will still get a blister on the side of your finger with a pinch grip.

11. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    a conventional file might scratch the  knives I work with, but won't remove any metal.  Norton makes abrasive files and pocket stones that work well on jobs like this.  you can get them made of India or Crystolon.

dealing with fit and finish defects must be one of the joys of having the knife maker 8000 miles away.  an eased/rounded spine and choil are things that should be done before heat treat.

scott

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sandpaper costs like $3 and it's flexible so you can actually round the corner.   Use it like an old timey shoe shining cloth.   It doesn't matter the hardness of your knives.  

13. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I understand, that is how I shape handles.  My point is if I spend over $100 on a knife, a spine that is not rounded or a choil with a burr or a rough spot on the handle or a poorly finished edge are unacceptable.  If I found those defects on a knife from a big box store, I would take it back.  Defects like these show poor quality assurance and a lack of pride and concern for the customer by the knife making company.  

14. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've got a set of diamond files that do the trick acceptably for 60 HRC and up knives. Don't mind doing the things that I can fix up pretty easily. Grind, I'd rather not spend so much time fixing, steel is already determined, and HT I can't fix. Theoretically, if there was a cost tradeoff of saving $5-10 bucks of labor on rounding the spine and choil, I'd probably take that tradeoff