Knife Fail

Joined Jul 27, 2014
Last night I learned a lesson about the need for being careful with sharp knives. I managed to stab myself with a filet knife, one part stupidity, one part freak accident.

I picked it up from the counter to put it away and bobbled it. Somehow my reaction managed to push it into my upper right leg. Three stitches.

I have to believe some of the pro's here nip themselves from time to time...?

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Never try and catch a falling knife. Day 1 of knife skills, lol. Sorry to hear about that.

I cut myself once in a blue moon, very rarely. Usually happens when I lose focus or stop paying attention to what I'm doing. Using proper knife safety and techniques it is very hard to cut yourself. Only when we get sloppy or distracted is when they happen.

Joined Jul 27, 2014
Never try and catch a falling knife. Day 1 of knife skills, lol. Sorry to hear about that.

I cut myself once in a blue moon, very rarely. Usually happens when I lose focus or stop paying attention to what I'm doing. Using proper knife safety and techniques it is very hard to cut yourself. Only when we get sloppy or distracted is when they happen.
All very true. Things happen very fast and I'm not sure I was attempting to catch the knife or what. Could have been much worse, though, I consider myself lucky.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Like someday the times I have cut myself have all been because I was not paying attention, or distracted, or whatever. Kind of like the knife saying "Respect me or I will hurt you."

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I'm sure I've related this tale before, but that's never stopped me. Some years ago my wife was getting ready to go to one of her folk dance parties. She was planning on preparing a pineapple to be cut into chunks, served on the half shell, so to speak. She was running behind, said she would do the prep at the location. Some hours later she gets home and one of the first things she says to me is "Thank you for keeping our knives sharp." She got to the house hosting the party, and could not find a knife capable of cutting the pineapple in half the way she intended. It was quite a chore to get what pieces she could on the table. Dull knives are a pain and a danger.

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Nothing major but little knicks and cuts here and there. It seems to happen only when I am agitated, distracted, or in a rush. And that’s why I could never work in a pro kitchen. Cooking is meditative to me and I try to be careful. As a musician, my left hand is my livelihood. It also holds the onion. Bad combo.

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Yup, it's so easy to get distracted. Only times I cut myself with knives isn't when I actually use it. It's when i'm picking the knife up, storing it, or when it's not even in my hand...

koukouvagia koukouvagia hi! musician here too! but my hands aren't really that important for what I do..!

Joined Nov 15, 2012

I suffer from sub-clinical seizures, on top of that I have been quite riskay in my knife use, cutting toward hand and all that. My motor control is extremely good, except when I have one of these otherwise unnoticeable siezures, so my fingertips have gotten quite a few cuts over the years. But I pay better attention now, and that makes quite a difference.

Just be more deliberate when you're handling knives, and over the years you'll require less bandaides, or Scotch tape wraps as I have preferred.

Joined Jul 27, 2014
Only times I cut myself with knives isn't when I actually use it. It's when i'm picking the knife up, storing it, or when it's not even in my hand...
Yup.

I'm gonna try and take the stitches out tomorrow. Not sure how that's gonna work.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
"I have to believe some of the pro's here nip themselves from time to time...?"
Sure. How do you think they get to be pro's?
I haven't done it in awhile. I think the last time was a month ago.

Joined Sep 27, 2014
Wow be careful! Hopefully your stitches removal went well. I always cut myself when I'm out of focus because I'm tired or overworked so I'm focusing on not being unfocused :) all the chefs out there can relate to this I'm sure!

May the force be with you.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
rick alan rick alan ...also known as absence seizures.
Before mine were diagnosed I was told to stop daydreaming and I wouldn't be so clumsy.
My worst knife trick was during a marathon potato salad veg prep and the knife slipped and impaled my foot....yeah all the way thru and into the hardwood floor.
Had to go to ER for removal and treatment in order not to make matters worse.
I tried to learn from that mistake but .....

mimi

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I'm going to tell about what could have been a knife fail, but was tragedy narrowly averted. One Saturday many years ago I was working on making a batch of chili. I had the radio on, tuned to my favorite station on the planet, KRCL, 90.9 FM. I grab an onion to dice. The DJ plays an old Woodstock tune, "Going Home" by Ten Tears After. Some of you might know about Alvin Lee, most probably don't. He was a VERY fast guitarist. So I'm starting to dice this onion and find myself trying to keep up with the incredibly fast guitar, my knife going faster and faster. I grazed the side of my finger, barely a drop of blood, took a deep breath and calmed down.

Top Bottom