Knife choice as gift

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by pandaman, Dec 23, 2014.

1. pandaman

pandaman

Exp:
    At home cook
    My boyfriend is a new chef and expressed interest in Shun knives. I intended to get him a santoku and petty knife as a gift but after some brief research here I saw that most of the experienced chefs suggested other options. After examining some options I think I have selected the misono Sweden series. Is this a solid choice? I am very out of my element.

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great choice. But get him a 240 mm. gyuto and the parer. Skip the santoku.

3. pandaman

pandaman

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the advice!

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @Pandaman   If he asked about Shun, then he might want stainless.  Misono Swedish is a great knife, but they are reactive.  If you're not totally vigilant about cleaning and drying, they will form rust.  It can't wait 5 minutes or even 2 minutes.  It needs to be cleaned as soon as you're done cutting.  This can be a big shift in workflow for someone working in a pro kitchen.

For stainless, maybe the suisin inox western?   It's asymmetric, so make sure to choose the correct left or right hand version.  Left hand has an upcharge

http://korin.com/Susin-Inox-Gyutou?sc=27&category=280068

15% off december sale at korin right now

5. pandaman

pandaman

Exp:
    At home cook
    You guys are all so helpful, I really appreciate the explanations to go with the feedback. Thanks so much!

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer