knife block bodum style at home

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by trampsauce, Jan 11, 2013.

1. trampsauce

trampsauce

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My opinion? Stick with the magnets!

Whether in a pro kitchen or home, that looks like a sanitation disaster!

3. wendy riddel

wendy riddel

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi,

I have four of these types of knife blocks and I love them.

I want another four but at over $100 each I have to make haste slowly.

I use them because they don't dull my knife blades and I can colour code them so they are used for clean knives and dirty knives.

I have both Bodum and ScanPan sets.

The Green ones are for my clean knives and the red/Orange ones are for my dirty knives.

The finger like knife holders can be simply dropped out by tipping the blocks upside down and washing them either in the sink or dishwasher, which I do each evening when I do my dishes.

The clean knife block gets a daily hot water rinse but the dirty blocks get a through clean with hot soapy water and the block itself put put through the dishwasher along with the interior filling. Along with my cutting boards.

Try doing that with a wooden knife block, but I do use lemon juice and soapy water on my chopping boards.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like the idea of these, but every incarnation I've seen has been too small and won't hold a 10" blade properly.

Sanitation shouldn't be an issue as you should only be putting clean knives back in them really. But as noted, most are removable and dishwasher safe.