Knif thinning recommendations needed

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I live in south GA near the Florida border. Who do you recommend for knife thinning and sharpening?? My go to knives need some thinning.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
For thinning, diamond stones are the fastest, but can leave scratch behind you may not like. harbor freight will have an inexpensive block of a few different grits. This is the current choice.

They're a bit short so you will likely have to work in sections of the blade

I don't think I'd us below the red grit unless you need to remove a lot of material. A benefit of these cheap stones is that they won't dish on you like a waterstones if used for reprofiling and thinning.

If you have a friend with a standing belt sander, offer to buy some belts for the purpose if he'll let you use it. The risk here is the high speed of removal and over heating the blade. So wearing a glove is smart but being able to feel the heat of the blade is important too. Stop and check often. It should never get too hot to hold with bare skin. Wear goggles and a respirator imho.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
If no one has a specific recommendation, check in with a local hunting type store. The more non-national chain type the better. They'll likely know someone local who does this sort of knife work.

Top Bottom