KitchenAid Professional Mixer

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by kokopuffs, Apr 10, 2001.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I recently purchased the 525 watt KA Pro mixer. I plan to knead bread dough with it. How do I know if the dough is becoming overworked?

BTW I purchased the unit for $299 plus tax at Williams Sonoma. They do price matching so I presented them with a hardcopy advertisement from electronicsEmall.com that sells the unit for the same price. Go for it y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: ;) :) :p :eek:

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    wooo that is too cheap, thanks!
    I have destoryed several robocops (robocoup?)
    cuisinarts, and one kitchenaid....noone around here repairs them....I've even sent them to SF for repairs.
    It's time for the big guns.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'd always recommend the most powerful model. However, the speed setting is #2 for kneading bread. No lower, no faster. Only #2 is the correct speed setting for working bread doughs. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hey Shroomgirl. What size KA's did you burn out. How much dough did it knead and how long did you use the unit?

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    it was either 325 or 400....it sat in a box for months, I was using a cuisinart for mixing doughs at the time and didn't open it for a while....used it for probably 6 monthes, I don't remember the dough that broke the KA engine....but I'm rough on machinery, I buy emersion blenders every 4-6 monthes...
    Some of my breads are pretty dense, rye,whole wheat, molasses, milk, butter, nuts, seeds etc....

6. pooh

pooh

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    To all, as I say again, electronicsEmall.com has the lowest price for the professional model, $299 + s&h. :D

8. seattledeb

seattledeb

kokopuffs...thanks for the info, I had no idea that Williams Sonoma did price matching.

:)

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay, folks, I used my KA for the first time in breadmaking. What formerly took over an hour for 1 or 2 pounds of dough, including mixing, kneading and cleanup, now only takes 15 minutes. Thank you, Kitchen Aid.

It'll take a bit of experience to know when kneading is finished and the dough has achieved proper consistency - using a machine. ;)

10. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    kokopuffs,

There are tons of recipes specifically written for mixers like the one you have you might want to look for. Also, want to try something fun? Try making your own homemade butter! (If you need directions, let me know.)

11. pooh

pooh

OH CCHIU,

Directions for homemade butter, pretty pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!

Thanks,

:p :p

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    To make homemade butter all you do is continue beating fresh cream way beyond the "hard peak" stage. The liquid will separate from the fat. Continue beating the fat portion after having drained off the "buttermilk". Add salt to taste. :D

13. pooh

pooh

Thank you, Koko.

How much cream to use for 1 lb butter??

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's been 25 years since I made butter. As I faintly recall, 1 cup of cream yields 1/2 cup (1 std cube or 1/4 pound) of butter. Therefore, 4 cups of cream yields 1 pound of butter.

I don't recall if it's light/heavy/standard cream, either. :confused:

15. pooh

pooh

My guess would be heavy cream!

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've made homemade butter but found that it is more expensive than Land O' Lakes butter - not worth the cost of cream.