kitchenaid artisan questions and kitchen reorganization

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Hi 

I'm decide that is time i should spend more time cooking ad an hobby :)

I'm not really lazy but i hate to get things from hidden places, use it, clean it and put it away again because i know i'm not gone to use it and not even give it away because i may use it some time.

I reorganized all my spices in 2 boxes and all the different flour for pizza, bread and pasta in glass containers

I had a kitchen multipurpose robot that just gave away because i took more time to clean it than than chop my vegetables by hand, now i got this as christmas present, not sure if is available outside my country ( italy )

now i was thinking about getting a kitchenmaid artisan i always liked its design, and since is something i would not be able to move it easily from my kitchen top it has to be "good  looking" :)

i would like to make bread, pizza and pasta ( this later on since i guess i need to buy the optional pasta maker )

i saw some receipts on youtube and i notice that in some video while mixin bread the top part shakes, is that normal? 

doesn't the artisan has enough power to mix bread?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Welcome to Chef Talk!

Yes you can knead dough with the KA Artisan.

This is what I hear from those who own them... using it for that purpose the motor tends to bog down and one friend swears she can smell smoke when that happens.

Another complaint I hear is the plastic coated paddle and whisks chipping and even breaking after a few months of heavy use.

Stand mixers can be a huge investment for most home cooks.

I suggest you find a trusted site and compare the different brands (watts and bowl capacity being the most important IMO) before you decide.

If you plan to use it a lot it makes sense to invest a bit more $$ and buy a stronger appliance but keep in mind the most expensive item is not always the best (this puts us back at the research part lol).

mimi

Joined Dec 28, 2015
thanks, this is the video, about minute 4:20

I'm not really sure how much i would use but the good fling i found about this mixer is that it has 5 years warranty 

Joined Dec 18, 2010
For the past decade the KitchenAid Artisan has worked for me in those applications. Maybe I'm lucky but those problems (over read them too) re nothing I've experienced. In fact, a couple of days ago I experienced first problem, and it is probably my own fault. The hinge pin between the stand and head worked out a bit... I think because I often don't bother locking the head when kneading. I'll stop being so lazy in the future!

Joined Jul 28, 2001
If you are going to be making doughs in the mixer, I would really consider one of the Pro models.

The pro models have metal gears inside the transmission- The Artisan has plastic

The Pro also has a sensor if you are kneading doughs or extruding pasta and the mixer boggs some, it will shut off to save the motor- the Artisan doesn't.

Probably the reason for smelling plastic burning with the artisan.

It's got the larger bowl and the dough hook is shaped like a commercial one.

It's also got a slow start feature which keeps ingredients off your walls and ceiling. - the Artisan doesn't.

It's got the lift up bowl and stands a little taller.- If I'm not mistaken when the tilt back mixing head of the Artisan is up and back, I think it's taller.

To sum up. If you are going to make doughs and use the pasta attachments, It's always better to have a metal transmission and built in sensor.

The only thing about the Pro, I don't think there are a lot of colors to choose from. I'm thinking that's why the Artisan is more popular then the pro. HTH's

Joined Dec 28, 2015
pro pricing in my country is way out of my budget is about 1150€ vs 380€ for Artisan

Joined Jun 27, 2012
One way around this problem is to knead by hand.
I embrace the slower pace and slip into a zen like state.
Relaxing.

mimi

Joined Sep 5, 2012
pro pricing in my country is way out of my budget is about 1150€ vs 380€ for Artisan

Where in the Euro zone are you? Even here in Sweden the difference between the artisan and prob is only 300€. 400€ vs 700€ plus vat.

Joined Dec 28, 2015
I always like the artisan since i first saw it some years ago without knowing anything about it

400€ is already out of my budget but i was considering if is wort it because i always wished to have it on my kitchen top

700€ would really be too much

I'm from Italy and on italian web site i'm not sure if they call with a different name or if it is only for us but can't find Professional 600

most of the time i cook for 2 people, not big quantities 

if you search KP26M1XWH on amazon it it costs 1.375,48 this report Professional 600 in his name

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Wow that is alot. I looked on ebay.co/uk and they had them from around 160£ and up plus shipping but at least with it being EU their are not import taxes or fees.

Joined Feb 8, 2009

thanks, this is the video, about minute 4:20

I'm not really sure how much i would use but the good fling i found about this mixer is that it has 5 years warranty 

I have used this one with the meat grinder attachment and the motor does great. I make all my sausage with this model. Mine is the Kitchen Aid Ultra Power 300W 60hz.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 4, 2000
When KA resorts to some huckabuck with Costco and a couple of KA mixers, I look elsewhere.   For me it's gotten down to two mixers, the Hamilton Beach mentioned in an earlier post and the Hobart N-50 which is a real '57 Chevy in disguise.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 14, 2000
I recently replaced a 14 year old Kenwood Major Chef with a Kitchen Aid 7QT Pro Line Mixer, $539 at Amazon at the time. There was nothing wrong with the Kenwood, but I was bored and wanted a new toy, not $2,600 Hobart N50 bored though.

It came through the holiday baking season witj flying colors. Double and triple batches of cookie dough and double batches of yeasted bread dough presented no problem. All metal gears and a 1.3 HP motor make this a pretty stout mixer. It's quiet relative to the Kenwood and the 'slo-start' helps prevent bowl contents from flying everywhere. I like it!

Just one man's opinion...

Kyle

Joined Dec 28, 2015
thanks for all you comments

i did not made my decision yet

i live in Italy, in EU i can easily found kenwood and bosch I also found an Electrolux model similar to KA but I'm still stuck to understand if i prefer to roll my dice with a KA artisan or go for a different mixer

for my budget and my kitchen space i could get:

- KA Artisan in Italy it has 5 years warranty but i just found a youtube cooking reviewers that got an artisan spilling oil, and with head moving. The send the unit in RMA and they got back a new one that seems to work fine. Not sure if is because they have a cooking channel and filmed the all story but in comments some people reported the same issue and some got the steel bowl releasing grey color. Not sure if i'm reading just few defective units over many sold. I also found a recent video of a US lady that bought a KA with glass bowl that could not lock in place, she got a replacing unit and filmed the two motors that make really different noise, the second unit could lock the bowl but made an orribile noise. I'm shocked from all this issue with KA, in EU it is suppose to be an high level product and it cost double than in US, but it is something i alway wanted in my kitchen.

- kenwood has good mixer but i can't really find a model that i like to keep on my kitchen top, maybe the kmix but is not my 1st choise

- bosch for what i read is light weight and i could see if i can find a place to store it 

- eletrolux EKM4000 and similar is not KA but not even that bad looking, but i never heard and found review about these mixer

i guess that if i'm not going to get a KA i would always wonder if i made the correct choice   

Joined Sep 28, 2008
I will say this. I recently retired my KAA after 23 years of service. It still did it's job, just I got a new shiny one for Christmas. After 23 years, the only thing wrong with it was I lost the little plastic knob on the locking mechanism.

Joined Sep 5, 2012
My ka pro work in the kitchen everyday. Been a fan for 40+ years. My morher still has my grandmothers since 1976.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
some got the steel bowl releasing grey color.
The cause of this is the metal paddle being set too low.

It rubs against the bowl.

Metal on metal action will cause some of the metal to be flaked off and contaminate whatever is being mixed.

Especially noticeable with white bread dough.

mimi

Joined Jul 28, 2001
One way around this problem is to knead by hand.
I embrace the slower pace and slip into a zen like state.
Relaxing.

mimi
Funny, seems when you get to a certain age, a zen like state is pretty darn close to a napping state.

BTW on the kitchen aid mixers. the 450 watt is the sleeper. It has everything that a 6 has, including over heat shut down, metal guts, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom