Kitchen supervisor advice

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mike94, Sep 2, 2017.

1. mike94

mike94

Exp:
    Kitchen supervisor
    I am a 23 year old working at a hotel. I got promoted a few months ago from line cook to kitchen supervisor. Since I'm pretty young working in a higher up position and don't plan on staying her forever, I was wondering how many years of experience I would I need in this position in order to secure a similar position at a different hotel? I figure competition wise most people in the position are older than me, so they have a leg up against me.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Rather than focus on age, think more about the other qualifications that makes one successful, like maturity, ability to give clear direction, ability to please both management and customers... in all ways, etc. age is only part of what makes someone qualified or not.

And congrats on the promotion!

cronker likes this.
  3. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Agreed.
    Be the best you can be in your role, be a sponge- soak in all the advice from around you, learn the ropes and be an inspiring leader.
    You are young, so throw yourself into educating yourself- take an online course in business management or go to some cooking classes. Keep aiming to better yourself. Ask your boss what kind of skills do they look for when considering future promotion?
    You should have high goals- maybe you want to be an Exec Chef in a 5 star resort? Start researching what kind of experience and qualifications you need to get you there and start now!
    Stay away from the vices that bring so many people down in this industry and try to make time for yourself too.
    Best wishes.

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Now hold on just a minute.......
    Let's look at the facts. All we know is what the OP has told us.
    We can only guess, and surmise what's going on here.

As an executive Chef, would I promote a line cook to kitchen supervisor?
    What is another name for kitchen supervisor in the un-corporate world?
    "Sous Chef."
    Now....that was a clue no? In corporate America names are thrown around like candy.
    Names that's all they are. They don't delineate talent or the experience necessary to carry the title.

Before we can give any more advice we'll need more information from mike94.

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Chef Ross... I believe that you may be answering a different question. He did not seem to be asking if he should have been promoted or not. Nor did he ask if his new job title is correct or not. Other than that I sure agree with you that some promotions and job titles are a bit shallow... like my first promotion to "week-end acting assistant manager". Now it seems like it was users but I can also see that no matter how rediculous that was it gave me a few more skills that served me well as I grew professionally.