Kitchen sink countertops and faucet

Joined Feb 26, 2017
were remodeling a home to live in. I laugh when a state remodeling were building a house from 60% of a house. Wrapping up the master bathroom with the kitchen a couple months away.
I scored on an island that has granite top hinged hydraulic shelves that drop back into the cabinet for two appliances like a mixer.

Matching the granite will be hard Im looking at cost effective options for countertop like custom made butcher block or a really thick counter with Formica we work a lot of dough. Personally I’m not that fond of Stone it’s cold, hard on knives scratches and is big money. Ive had great luck with Formica and have installed enough of it to be able to do that myself but it’s not any cheaper than butcher block when it’s all done. But I don’t know anything about it’s performance. Id want it to be at least 2” or more thick. Does it require a lot of maintenance and how does it hold up to water and food oils etc.

Next is sink and faucets. My current home has a 32” x 21” 60/40 sink it’s not enough. Im looking at 42” farm style sinks my wife has one hang up it has to have rounded corners in the bottom of the bowls which is an issue in the stainless ones that I’ve found. There’s another option two separate sinks but that poses an issue with a faucet with the reach for two sinks without going to something that’s to commercial looking. Maybe I’m asking for to much.

Any thoughts

Joined May 25, 2015
I can't comment on sinks and faucets unless you are talking commercial. There are so many out there that it makes my head spin and I really don't care for most anyway.

As for plastic laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, etc.) countertops, as you should know the laminate is about 3/32" thick and applied with contact cement to a substrate of plywood or chip board- the actual countertop. So you can make that as thick as you want. Plastic laminate was the "modern" replacement back in the 50's for the available linoleum or wood. But by today's standards it's bottom of the barrel for countertops on the House Extravagant list. But the good news is that it's inexpensive. As far as durability, you don't want to cut on it because it will look like a cutting board. It can be scorched (though it's gotten better) so I wouldn't put hot pans on it. The material can stain and it will become burnished from cleaning with abrasive sponges and cleaners. (Right now I'm looking at my counter top next to my computer where its become shiny from using my mouse.)

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Our island is topped with butcher block and we love it. We work dough, cut, and place hot pans on it - too hot can probably scorch it, but we haven't run into that - usually we are placing hot items down for just a minute between tasks. If it gets too scarred from all the use, we can sand it down. If you have a Lumber Liquidators in your area, their butcher block prices are pretty reasonable - ours had 4 woods to choose from.

Top Bottom