kitchen scales to 0.01 grams

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by mamelok, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mamelok

mamelok

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Can anyone recommend a scale, for small amounts, that is accurate to 0.01 grams (0.1 grams may be good enough).  Thanks

2. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    now this is going to be kinda funny.

I bought a digital scale which usually is used to weigh chemical stuff.  

if your drugstore does weigh out things, ask them......since I am in netherlands its hard to recommend a brand....

usually you should be able to find them with not too much effort. sorry that I can't be of more help.

have a look at online stores that sell stuff to people who make their own cosmetic / bodycare products, might be of help.

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you tried an internet search?

You are probably looking at a hooded scale as moving air can create errors greater than 0.01g, remember, 0.01g is the same as 0.00035 ounces.

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Having 3+ years of college chemisty coursework that dates to the early 70's and 80's, you do NOT need three decimal places of accuracy.  Recently I got an OXO scale that measures in grams and ounces and it works quite well for me when it comes to measuring out flour, butter and water.  And I've tested this scale against my standard weights for my 1970's triple beam (for beer and wine making) that measures from 0.10 to 275 grams and the OXO scale is right-on.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. mamelok

mamelok

Exp:
    Home Chef
    thanks Kokopuffs.  I have an Oxo scale too which I really like down to about 5 g, which serves most purposes.  I've played around with weights in the range of 1 g and I find the reproducibility not so good, which is why I want one with better resolution, since  few things I weigh require somewhere between 0.5 and 5 grams.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
  7. mamelok

mamelok

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks Kokopuffs. Very helpful

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Also get yourself a set of standard weights for testing the calibration of the scale.  They are a definite must.   Once I purchased a brand new Ohaus triple beam scale whose measurements were way out of line - thanks to the use of standard weights for testing its calibration.

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And you're probably looking at what's called a jeweler's scale.

10. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If you really want one that sensitive (and that expensive) go with a Denver Instruments.  Mine is sensitive enough it will read the heat waves off my hand.  I guarantee you'd have the only one in town.

Any reloading scale will weigh to .1 Grain, by the way.  Way less than .1 Gram

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  11. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams = 0.06479891g

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    BTW I own a double pan balance that will measure 1/10000th of a gram (1/10th of a milligram).  It was probably used in measuring Uranium 235 at the TVA during the Manhattan project.  Totally useless in the kitchen!   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

13. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My scale is totally mechanical and was made during the thirties; it's almost a work of art.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    1 gram = 15.4323584 grains or 64.79891_milligrams

15.4323584 grains = 1 gram

1 gr = mg * 0.015432

What we need is a scale that measures to .0001 of a yoctogram

Then we could make cupcakes for an electron.

Must be past my bedtime.

16. harlock0083

harlock0083

Exp:
    At home cook
    The chemistry TA in me died a little bit..... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crying.gif

harrisonh likes this.
  17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm THE resident galaxy cruiser, here, and 1 gram = 1000 milligrams or approximately 1 stale yoctogram.

18. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I only use scales this accurate when loading things that ignite and propel a projectile.

7000 grains = one pound.   Yep they are small...

Lowest charge that I use is 1.5 grains of Clays (Hodgdon) in a 32 ACP cartridge with a 71 grain projectile... the maximum for that cartridge, projectile and powder is 1.7 grains.

So  you better be damn sure your scale is accurate or else things can go KaBooM! in your face.

---------

As for the kitchen... 1 gram (not grain) is just fine.   The only time you might need smaller is if you are playing molecular-gastronomy on a budget and making very small batches when testing things.

Which in all honesty doesn't work very well as the 'variables' and 'unknowns' start to become larger factors than the measured ingredients.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  19. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Powder up or powder down?  Looks like a tenth would really make a difference. 

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes, especially when it comes to gunpowder where tenths of a grain can really make a differency in both accuracy and personal safety.