Kitchen Rental & wedding cakes

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by chera, May 1, 2011.

1. chera

chera

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    What is considered reasonable rental fees for renting a kitchen (whether in a restaurant, catering hall, or other) for working on wedding cakes?

Can you do the cake decoration at home or is that against code as well?

2. blwilson2039

blwilson2039

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Chera, in most states/counties, you can't produce any perishable foods from home. In most cases, you can't produce ANY foods from your home kitchen for sale. Check with your health department on that, but I highly recommend you get a commissary kitchen that already has been licensed by the health department. Because of demand, you may have to make a lot of calls. I discovered that many restaurants are willing to rent space out on their off hours. In my case, I'm working in a restaurant kitchen that does dinner only, so I go in when only their pastry chef is there and I'm out before any of the staff arrives. I got lucky because the owner is a friend of mine I've worked for in the past and I get along well with his PC.

Fees will vary depending on the establishment. It could be $20/hr, it could be $80/day, but most places have a minimum with only specific days available. I found the rates are all over the place, but $20/hr seemed to be pretty prevalent. Just be sure that when you start asking questions, make sure they have the equipment you need. One place that offered me a space had no mixers (she produced wholesale ice cream), and only induction burners. But she did have sheet pans and a speed rack. But the only day I could work was Mondays. Some of the products I make require a 20-qt mixer. That was the deal breaker.

Good luck!

3. chera

chera

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thank you for the insight.

What do people do in regards to tastings?  Obviously you don't want people coming to your house for their initial consultation and kind of tacky to meet at the coffee shop...so if you don't have a shop of your own yet, what do you do?