Kitchen Music, Episode 2 Revenge of the Bagpipes

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by greg, Jul 3, 2005.

1. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We haven't done this in a couple of years. Whats on the CD player at work these days?

I found an entire CD of bagpipe music (Colin MacLellan) on usenet a few days ago. It works wonders when you just want everyone out of the kitchen.

Also on the playlist: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Plimsouls, Yo La Tengo, lots of Grateful Dead, U2, Michelle Shocked, Lyle Lovette, Robert Earl Keen, Roxy Music, The Cure and my top two "things are going wrong" kitchen songs: "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Mountain Boys and "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz.

On a sidenote, number one sign your chef used to be a hippy: Chef hears a song I burned on a mix cd called "Urge for Going", circa late '60's, and says, "Hey, is that Tom Rush?" and he's right. :D

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Audioslave's first album, as well as the new one, "Out of Exile." My students have turned me on to Bowling for Soup... not bad, considering it is from within the past 2 years. Rush's "Live in Rio"... 2 hours of classic Rush! And, of course, Styx's "Return to Paradise." Right, Greg?! :p

3. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    i just bought an AirPort Expess so i could have my entire mp3 library available to me in my home kitchen. great! i've been listening to alot of Sonic Youth, Interpol, Bjork, Nick Cave, The Faint, and the new White Stripes album. i'd listen you Joy Division but there's way to many sharp item in the kitchen for that :). the other night i listened to the first Cibo Matto album. all the songs are about food and the foods are a metaphor for sex.

Greg, it must be nice to work somewhere where Echo & the Bunneymen is appreciated in the work place. possibly the best band ever (before the breakup).

4. ricib

ricib

Anything "Classic Rock" pretty much does it for me. thought once in a while, some good motown or motown remakes do it for me as well.

5. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The last place I worked played mostly Rap music on the CD player... I worked with mostly men, and ages ranged from 20-30 (although I was the only one under 25 years of age). When someone didn't have a CD to bring we'd listen to the radio. At the new place I'm at they don't listen to music, feels like a hospital - so cold, boring...

6. dean

dean

I worked with a chef once loved french hunting music sounded like a heard of dying elephants ooooooooooooh my ears! :cry: I like anything I can understand the words to I must be getting old. :)

7. chinds85

chinds85

I like cooking with jaz and a good fruity red or chilled white. I know its cliche but I cant help it.

8. susann

susann

metallica(o:

9. rblum

rblum

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lots of dead or phish when my hippie captain is working, as for me.. i just like putting the old ipod on shuffle... go from beethoven to bjork to bad brains, to frank sinatra, some speed metal....

10. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The entire kitchen at work listens to spanish pop radio. "La Camisa Negra" is playing near the top of the charts. I've probally heard that song at least 3 times an hour. It's about a guy with black shirt, and I don't know what else.

11. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Towards the office, progressive oops sorry "fusion" Jazz. Motown when I need to slow it down a little.
    Now the kids are listening to, ummm? oh yea EMO. The music isn't half bad but sounds a little dark to me. Hey! if it increases production!!

12. rblum

rblum

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EMO... haha... punk without any guts... im sad .. and you will listen to my sadness, while i scream about how sad i am.. if they like EMO tell them to grow up and listen to some early AFI or better yet, some Stooges.

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Rblum,
    The music does resemble what you say. I haven't picked up the punk part yet. These are young persons fresh out of high school. Buying time before heading out to some very good schools.They are just helpers on a part time basis. I can tell you, they are very intelligent and creative! They find much peace amongst themselves.
    I personally don't think watching the Three Stooges would be a healthy suggestion.( too violent ) :D ;)

14. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    RIGHT ON!

Add to that Disturbed, Linkin Park, Evanesence, Ill Nino, Drowning Pool, God Smack, and Iced Earth and you've got about half of what plays in my home kitchen. The other half;
    Enigma, a little Kenny G, St. Germain, Gloria Estafan (her more Cuban influenced music and not so much her American pop). Tatu, and some of the occasional big band music.

15. rblum

rblum

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    to panini,
    Iggy and the Stooges... not larry moe, & curly/Shep. However, I see what you are saying. I generalized to much. My love for cooking is rivaled only by my love of Music. I appreciate the evolution of music, however, most of the kids today dont realize where their music came from. I will, regretfully so, have to admit that some emo music is great. As with most types of music, there are the motivators and the imitators. Music is music. I am not so jaded to think that people like what I play. Most people cant stand what i listen to. Sorry if I came accross as caustic in any way.

" in my world there is only 2 kinds of music. music which i like and everything else"

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Rblum,
    Caustic, not at all. My dad who was a very accomplished musician who made money playing with the likes of Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey until he inlisted, used to tell me the same thing. You don't know where your music came from. And I was getting into music when the Beatles were coming over. :eek: Skipped a generation, I can't play a CD but my 14 yr old, after piano lessons has self taught himself on the Alto Sax and is playing the electric guitar this summer.

17. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Rblum,
    let's not forget, the band credited for the beginning of EMO was Fugazi, which was formed by Mike from Minor Threat (if ever there was punk with guts, it was minor threat). however for me emo goes back further than that. i'm thinking the cure, yaz, the the, joy division, etc. it's kinda funny how musical genres get re-intorduced as the next big thing and noeone ever thinks about it's influences.

18. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unfortunately, where I am right now, the F&B manager does not allow music to be played in the kitchens, but I am leaving the company and start a new job. Unfortunately, it is in the FOH of a causal place so it will be a lot of non-offensive bubblegum pop. But in the kitchen I usually like to change it up a lot from Hispanic music (for the vatos) to bluegrass, to world music, to a lot of techno, industrial and ebm. Of course, a lot of punk, both old and new school, thrown in. Just usually try to stay away from country, rap and hip hop if any way possible.

19. skitty

skitty

In the car: KISS 99.5 San Antonio ROCKS!!!!
    In the kitchen: Some crappy Hip-Hop channel that plays only 8 songs (Mike Jo-nes, Mike Jo-nes.....) Ever!!!! No I don't hate hip hop, I hate this crappy station.
    At home: Tragicially Hip: In Between Evolution. Love "It Can't Be Memphis Every Night" Torment the neighbors with it. Daily. At 7:15 every morning.

20. frizbee

frizbee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am a big fan of good music on all levels. (Well except country…sorry to the fans) However I am so SICK of Mike Jones...and that stupid... “I'm so Icy” song. I swear I want to barf when I hear them.
    We have the stereo system restaurant wide, so whatever they are listening to in the diningroom, (usually classic rock, classic 80's or big band all of which I adore) we listen to in the kitchens, and in the prep room. Early in the AM they play heavy rap (Which I can take except the aforementioned M.J.) or R&B which I like too. BTW I would love to hear some Metallica in the kitchen…that is usually what I listen to on the way in. At night when the Operating Partner is closing, he has an uncharacteristic pension of heavy rave or trance music, which I like as well...just gives me flashbacks of the gay clubs I have visited...LOL

Frizbee